Changing your master password with a stand alone license.

Pandacar
Pandacar
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years across 4 devices, on 4 different operating systems with a stand alone license. It has worked really well for me, with no synching problems what so ever. I have 1Password 6 on my work Mac and iPhone, and slightly older versions of the application on my 2 Windows machines. I have changed my Master Password in the past without any difficulty, but now since the launch of your subscription services, I seem to be unable to change my master password, without having a subscription.

Is this true, or is there a way to change my password that I am not seeing?

P.S. I have contacted customer support twice about this issue over the last 4 days and have not gotten a reply.

Thank you in advance for any help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:changing master password with a stand alone license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Leighaheydt,

You don't need a 1Password.com account in order to change the master password in the standalone 1Password app. The steps to change it are the same as they've been for years: in the main 1Password app on your Mac, go to 1Password > Preferences > Security > Change Master Password. We have the steps here: How to change your Master Password

Can you elaborate on what isn't working for you as described? For example, are you having trouble opening the Preferences, or does the "Change Master Password" button not appear on the Security tab, etc? Please let us know some more details about what's happening on your end when you try to change the master password, and that should give us a better idea of how to help with that. Thanks! :)

• Pandacar
    Pandacar
    Community Member

Hi @ Drew_AG,

Thank you for this! That clears things up! I think I was confused by the terminology. At first I thought I always had a 1Password "account", but I have since learned that that word applies to subscription accounts only. I think I kept navigating to how to change your password when you have a subscription account, and that was the error. Thank you so much. All good now!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, I'm sorry it can be so confusing. We're always working to make things clearer and easier to manage, so your feedback on this is greatly appreciated too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.