Can't get one-time password to work for Amazon

vr8ce
vr8ce
Community Member

I already have two-factor setup for Amazon with another app. I would like to set it up for 1Password.
I'm following the directions here. I positioned the 1P QR scanner over the QR code that Amazon generates, then hit Save in 1P.
But how do I get a code? The Amazon login page in 1P doesn't even show the onetime field when not in Edit mode, much less the code.
Step 3 just says, "Enter the code from 1Password when the website asks for it," but gives no indication or instructions in how to get the code.

The directions, and 1P, are sorely lacking here. First, there's no indication in 1P itself that it read the QR code correctly.
Then, there's no instructions on how to get a code, where the code is displayed, etc.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:two-factor amazon

Comments

• Hey @vr8ce,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble moving your 2FA setup to 1Password.

After you positioned the 1Password QR scanner over the QR code, you should see the field in 1Password filled in with what looks like a URL, except starting with otpauth:// (while in edit mode). After clicking save, that field should change to look like this:

If you hit edit on the item again, do you see the One Time Password field displayed there with the correct URL?

• vr8ce
    vr8ce
    Community Member

Neither of those things happen, i.e. there's no URL in the field after positioning the scanner, and there's no password after save.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vr8ce,

It sounds like the QR Code Scanner isn't successfully scanning the QR code from Amazon. If it works, it should be very obvious, and you would see the otpauth:// information entered into the One Time Password field in your Login item in 1Password. But if it doesn't scan the QR code properly, nothing will be entered in that field in 1Password, which would explain why you don't see anything about a One Time Password after clicking Save.

Can you please follow the steps again to add the one time password? If you don't see anything happen when you drag the window over the QR code from the website, it's not scanning the QR code for some reason. Let us know how it goes, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.