Estate Planning: sharing a vault with executors

jd007
jd007
Community Member

Hi,

I am planning for allowing access to a selected set of passwords for my partner and/or executor in the event of my death or incapacitation. I have a full standalone purchase of 1Password from back in the days when that was a thing, prior to subscriptions. My partner has another password management solution, and has no wish to convert to 1P. :-)

Here is my current plan, please advise if this would work from your viewpoint:

1) I have set up a separate vault (let's call it Estate Vault) with relevant items in it; it has a different password than my master password.

2) I tell that password to my partner (to store safely in her management system!).

3) The Estate Vault file is synced to a Dropbox folder, which I share with my partner so she has access to it.

4) Instructions I give to my partner: when needed, go to the App Store (for her iPhone, Mac or whatever devices exist in the many years from now when this may occur!) and purchase a full license standalone copy of 1Password. (no need for subscription, as she won't be needing it for long.)

5) Sign in and sync to an existing vault, that of my Estate Vault in Dropbox. (Which effectively is sitting as a shared item in her Dropbox.)

6) She is then able to view all of the relevant passwords.

Would this strategy work to allow for her to access that vault?

PS I am aware of the 1Password Families option, I don't wish to do that since we don't require ongoing sharing. If I live another 50 years (and the sub stays at $60/yr!) then I would have spent $3,000 for that to happen. Probably better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @jd007,

I'm glad to hear you're making plans like this - it is always a good idea to be prepared. :)

Overall, it sounds like this would indeed work. We don't normally recommend sharing vaults through shared Dropbox folders due to the risk of conflicts and other issues outside of our control, however as this won't be an ongoing shared vault and there won't be changes from both sides, I think it should work fine for this purpose.

One change I'd suggest is that your partner can simply download a copy of 1Password from our website - it comes with a free 30 day trial, so there won't be any need for your partner to purchase anything.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member

Hi @Meek , thanks for your reply, that's great to hear! And good suggestion re the 30 day trial. :)

Best regards.

• Hey @jd007,

You're most welcome. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member

I'm writing out instructions for this now; how would I describe how to sync with the existing vault that's in the shared Dropbox.. so, they have downloaded the trial version of 1Password, what do they do next?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jd007,

When she opens the 1Password app for the first time, she'll see the 'Welcome' screen which has a few different setup options. She will want to select “Sync using Dropbox”, and then she'll be able to choose the sync file you shared with her (a .opvault or .agilekeychain file) from the local Dropbox folder on her Mac.

I hope that helps! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member

Yep that's great, thanks. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.