How to move 1Password

jimwilkins
jimwilkins
Community Member

I recently had to rebuild my Sierra system. I have the old system backed up, but I can't figure out how to move the Mac app and the vault. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Wilkins

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Good evening @jimwilkins. The 1Password app can just be dropped into your Applications folder. Once you launch it all you need to do is choose iCloud from the initial setup screen to sync with your information stored on iCloud. If you need additional help please don't hesitate to ask.

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by the app can be dropped into the applications folder. Sorry for being dense, but please be more specific.

Thanks,
    Jim

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

If you open the Finder, there is a folder on the left side called applications. When you put 1Password in there, it will show up in launchpad (the silver circle with the spaceship in it). Anything in launchpad can be added to your dock.

• Thanks for pitching in here, @prime :)

@jimwilkins You mentioned you have a full backup of your computer from before you rebuilt it. I apologize for not being more specific. What I meant was that you can just drag and drop the 1Password app from your backup to the Applications folder on your rebuilt system. Alternatively you can just download the app fresh from our site here: https://1password.com/downloads

Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

Really! Won't I run into problems of 1Password needing verification my copy is legal?

Thanks again.

Jim

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

I think I tried to download from the site. It downloaded OK but I couldn't convince it that it was just a fresh copy under an old account.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimwilkins,

I searched for your email address in our license system, and I found a license for you for 1Password 6 for Mac (I had that resent to your email in case you need it).

It sounds like you downloaded 1Password from our website - if you did, and assuming you ran the .pkg installer you downloaded, you should now have a 1Password 6.app file in the Applications folder.

...I couldn't convince it that it was just a fresh copy under an old account.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean - are you having trouble restoring your data? Did you choose to sync with iCloud when going through the setup? Please let us know exactly what steps you're taking, what you expect to happen, and what happens instead, and we'll have a better idea of where to go from there. Thanks! :)

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

Hey Drew,

I'll summarize where I am. I had to wipe my HD and reinstall Sierra from scratch. Before I did that, I made a complete backup of the HD that I wiped. I then moved the 1Password app for iMac from the backup to my brand new clean system. Flush with success, I double clicked 1Password on my new system and it opened a window, lefthand saying "Welcome to 1Password" and some options on the right-hand side under the category "Used 1Password before". I thought I had remembered that I bought 1Password at your website so I clicked 1Password.com. I am now looking at a window that says "scan your account details" and another option that says "Enter your details manually". I have no clue how to scan the details so I chose the latter.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what my Sign-in Address is, which email address it wants, and what my Master Password is. I can make some educated guesses given my trends on establishing usernames, passwords in the past, etc. You have kindly provided me the account key but I get the notion that I need those other items also.

I do have 1Password installed and working on an iPad and an iPhone.

HELP!!

BY THE WAY, , 1Password is a wonderful program and frankly, I am lost without it.

I am going downstairs and and run off my frustrations on my treadmill.

Jim

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimwilkins,

Thank you very much for the details on the steps you took and what you're seeing now - it's really helpful for us! Here's where you took a wrong turn:

I thought I had remembered that I bought 1Password at your website so I clicked 1Password.com.

I'm sorry for any confusion about that! The 'Welcome' screen is asking where to find your existing 1Password data, not where you made your purchase. You chose the option to sign into a 1Password.com account, which is why it's asking you for information such as a Secret Key and a sign-in address.

If you haven't signed up for a subscription account on 1Password.com, you just need to go back and choose a different option from the first 'Welcome' screen. For example, if you sync your 1Password data with iCloud, you'll need to choose “Sync using iCloud”. (If you still see the screen that asks for a Sign-In Address, Email Address, and Secret Key, click the arrow in the bottom left corner of that window until you get back to the first screen.)

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

And the ordeal goes on...

For some reason, I don't seem to be able to sign in to iCloud. This is annoying. I'll come back when I figure this out.

Jim

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

Drew,

I am able to log into iCloud when I use iCloud.com. When I try to login from the 1Password window, it just hangs.

When I logged in to iCloud.com, I looked to see what was in there. There was no 1Password related stuff in there.

Can I find out my account info by accessing my iOS versions?

Assuming we get this up and running, how do I move the vault onto the new system?

Jim

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

OK. I have it up and running. Turns out I am syncing via Dropbox.

When I open 1Password, it wants me to compare a 6-digit code to a code in 1Password. Where do I find that code?

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

Never mind. Figured that one out also.

Drew, I really appreciate the help. Thanks again and have a good one.

Jim

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@jimwilkins, I'm very glad to hear you were able to get everything sorted out! Sorry it wasn't quite as easy at it should have been, but hopefully everything continues to work well for you from now on. If you have more questions or need more help with 1Password, you know where to find us. ;)

• jimwilkins
    jimwilkins
    Community Member

You can run but you cannot hide.

Thanks again,

Jim

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.