1PW vs. mSecure

pbGuy
pbGuy
Community Member

AgileBits team should be aware mSeven's mSecure is morphing into an app (macOS & iOS) that's remarkably similar to 1PW's apps.

See: https://www.msecure.com/msecure-5-features-email-m/?utm_source=mSecure+Desktop+Users&utm_campaign=571ba070e1-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3230a9d5a4-571ba070e1-128052365

When I started using mSecure years ago (about as long as I've been using 1PW), it was mainly an app where one could save details about products, although it did have the ability to use a login-password template. So, mSecure 5's change of focus seems to be directly pointed at 1PW. ...I will not upgrade to mSecure 5 and will stay with 1PW.

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pbGuy

Thank you so much for the heads up :) Competition is good, and it's great to hear you are sticking with us, it's extremely appreciated my friend :)

Daniel

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Whenever I read posts like "1Password vs.", I'm reviewing those competitors' websites doing some simple tests. Maybe this short list helps people to make informed decisions on whether a different password manager is right for them

1. Look for one word on their website: security.
      More often than not they say nothing or almost nothing about their security model or "hide" this information somewhere deep on their sites for whatever reason. You can find the usual buzzwords like "we use industry standard AES 256" but not how it's implemented.
    2. Have a look at their knowledge base and forums as well to see what's currently going on with the respective software.
    3. Check the support policy. When I read stuff like "support staff is watching the forums from 9-5 Monday til Friday", I'm not quite sure if that product would be right for me.
    4. I like to know who I'm doing business with (especially when using a password manager), so I try to find out, what company is behind the software.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. the last item on the list of course is

1. Decide to (continue to) use 1Password and thank AgileBits for this great piece of software ;)
  • DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

Ahahah @Manaburner, I love the last item on the list :D Thank you so much for taking the time to share this, and of course for your support :)

• Claudius2k
    Claudius2k
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I am not a fan of subscription based services. I have enough subscriptions in my life. I don't mind paying for a product and even paying for upgrades. Looks like mSecure is lockstep right behind 1Password. I imagine possibly not everyone feels the same way. So I predict another password manager leader will emerge out of these changes.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

Claudius2K, You may have missed the news that 1Password 7 for Windows will support local vaults?

https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/08/01/1password-6-7-for-windows-a-feature-buffet/

With this release, we finally have enough visibility to chart a course for the future, so we’re happy to announce that standalone vaults will be an available entree on the menu in 1Password 7 for Windows. 1Password 7 will be free with your 1Password membership, but if memberships aren’t for you, paid licenses will also be available.

Although we’re looking ahead to 1Password 7, 1Password 6 is not done just yet. We’ll be serving up a few more tasty treats in the coming months, so save room for dessert. Then, strap on your hiking boots and join us as we set out on this new adventure – and burn off some of those extra calories along the way, too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Yep! Thanks for adding that! :chuffed: :+1:

@Claudius2k: I hope that helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.