Software Licenses Feature Requests

Options
Jablair
Jablair
Community Member

Just a pair of quick feature requests for tracking software licenses. I'm writing these against the Mac version, but they might apply elsewhere, too.

First, I tend to create new Software License records in 1Password by dragging the desired app to the software license list. It would be great if 1Password would select the newly-imported item so I can easily edit it to add info like the license key, etc. Right now, I need to navigate to / search for the newly created app to add that info.

Second, when browsing the software list by title, it'd be great if there was a secondary sort order by the version number. I know that can be a bit tricky since people get a bit whacky with version numbers at time, but a best effort approach would be nice. Here's what I see at the top of my license list:

I'm not really sure what that sort order comes from. I can tell it's not by creation date.

Finally - and this one's a little wonky - it'd be nice if there was a quick way to get Mail messages into 1Password as PDFs. I try to attach my receipts to license records. I have to export the message as a PDF from Mail, drag that file into 1Password, then delete the exported PDF. It's been a while since I looked at it, but I think just letting us drop documents onto the 1Password icon and having them imported as documents would be a big help in this regard, since I could then add 1Password as an entry to the print dialog's PDF menu. The app icon currently highlights when I drag a PDF onto it, but the document doesn't seem to go anywhere in the app.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.3 MAS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jablair,

Thank you very much for sending us your requests!

First, I tend to create new Software License records in 1Password by dragging the desired app to the software license list. It would be great if 1Password would select the newly-imported item so I can easily edit it to add info like the license key, etc.

I see what you mean about adding new Software License items by dragging apps to 1Password. It would certainly be handy to be taken to the new item automatically when you do that. For now, you could switch to the Software Licenses category in the app first and sort the list by Date Created. Then, when you drag an app to 1Password, it'll appear at the top of that list of items, so it'll be easy to start editing it. I know that's not as convenient as what you suggested, but thought I'd mention that in case it helps.

Second, when browsing the software list by title, it'd be great if there was a secondary sort order by the version number.

Yes, I can definitely see how that would help as well! We've heard similar requests from a few other customers over the years, and although I don't think it's something our developers are planning to add right now, perhaps they can consider it for a future version. In the meantime, a workaround would be to include the version number in the names of the items (Acorn 1, Acorn 2, Acorn 3, and so on).

Finally ... it'd be nice if there was a quick way to get Mail messages into 1Password as PDFs.

[...]

I have to export the message as a PDF from Mail, drag that file into 1Password, then delete the exported PDF.

If I understand, you'd like to drag an email message directly from the Mail app into 1Password and have it automatically saved there as a PDF file instead of a .eml file. For that to work, 1Password would need to be able to convert it from .eml to .pdf (and for 1Password to know you want to do that instead of simply keeping it in .eml format). File format conversion is probably a bit outside the scope of features we'd like to add to 1Password, although I can see how that would help in the specific example you described.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I think just letting us drop documents onto the 1Password icon and having them imported as documents would be a big help...

Although you can't drop files onto the 1Password icon, you can drag them into the main 1Password app window. There are a couple different options here: If you drag a file to the item list, that file will be added as a new Document item. Or if you drag a file to the item details of a selected item, that will add a link in the 'Related Items' section of that item, which will take you to a new Document item for that file.

If you have any questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Jablair
    Jablair
    Community Member
    Options

If I understand, you'd like to drag an email message directly from the Mail app into 1Password and have it automatically saved there as a PDF file instead of a .eml file. For that to work, 1Password would need to be able to convert it from .eml to .pdf (and for 1Password to know you want to do that instead of simply keeping it in .eml format).

Sorry, no, that could've been clearer. I was just looking for the ability to drag a PDF onto the 1Password icon and have it created as a Document. Likewise, if I hypothetically dragged a message from Mail, that could get added as an .eml file (assuming that documents allows you to add pretty much any file type).

That would be nice because I believe the mechanism macOS uses to route icon drops is fairly generic -- if that functionality was in place, I believe I could add an alias of the 1Password app to ~/Library/PDF Services and have it show up as an option in the Print dialog's PDF popup.

Like I said, a little wonky. It would just save me the process of creating the intermediary PDF file by using the OS to send the PDF directly to 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that, @x19! I can't make any promises, but perhaps we'll be able to consider that for a future version.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.