Managing/Deleting Team Members Personal Vault

Non_GMO_Project
Non_GMO_Project
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Business and Teams

I recently purchased the Team Pro package for my organization.

I am uneasy about each team member having their own "Personal Vault" that cannot be viewed and managed by administration. I noticed there is not a pencil icon on the Personal Vault to manage share options. Is there any way for an Admin member to gain access to each team members Personal Vault or even remove my staff's "Personal Vault" option?

1Password Version: Team Pro
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Delete Personal Vault

Comments

• Hi @Non_GMO_Project - Thank you for reaching out to us. I can understand where you're coming from but there is no way to restrict users from accessing their Personal vault. Only the specific user has access to this vault, no one else.

You can add a permission to any Shared vault that would prevent team members from being able to share/move any items to their Personal vaults. You can also add a permission so team members don't have the ability to move anything to the trash or export any items. I will include a link below that might help a little more. - https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-getting-started/#understanding-basic-permissions

Sorry for not having a better answer here. Let me know if this helped or if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• percheron
    percheron
    Community Member

I will chime in on the request / critique about the application policies for Personal vaults. Please consider making Personal vaults no different than any other vaults. At most, create a permission that governs Personal vault .

The Personal vault is the the most significant and frequent source of confusion and frustrations among my family. I cannot count the times when something "can't be found" until someone realizes that it got added to the "damned Personal vault" yet again. None of my family wants it. We all have our Mac versions configured to hide the Personal vault and the "Vault for Saving" configured to the Family account. However, iOS is a completely different design and doesn't include the same options. So, when someone makes the mistake of creating anything in iOS, it is only a matter of time when the "can't be found" cycle starts.

Also, please consider the perspective that the Administrator should be able to govern ALL account policies, including whether or not private vaults exist (ie, the Personal vault or even Standalone vaults that are still an option in the iOS app).

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's definitely something we'll continue to consider, but you really can use the same settings in 1Password for iOS: Settings > Vaults > All Vaults. I hope this helps! :)

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

@percheron If you want to make it easy for your family, merge any items in their Personal vaults into the Family vault then disable their accounts and invite them back in as a guest user. A guest only has access to 1 vault that you allow (Family Vault) and it won't allow them to create other vaults (like Personal).

I had to set up my parents this way as they were getting confused and passwords were being lost. Now they both access only the "Parents" vault, which is managed by me. They don't have permissions to export/share items nor empty the trash, but they can put items in the trash for me to review before deleting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Smudge: That's a good suggestion. Not everyone will be okay with a single shared vault, but I think you're right that would work for a lot of people. :)

• percheron
    percheron
    Community Member

@Smudge: The guest is not a good option for our family. We have numerous items that the entire family shares (e.g., the door lock code and Netflix account login) and numerous items that are particular to each person (e.g., my daughter's instagram account login). The "Guest" scenario would require an incredible number of duplicate records. We have 53 "Family" items. Multiply that over 5 people, and a huge mess is made. Thank you for the suggestion, though. It is a good option depending on the situation.

@brenty: thank you for the correction. I was wrong in my view of the preferences. They are simply presented a little differently. Sorry about that. I will now tour through everyones devices (14 devices in all) that are part of the "Family" to set this configuration. This is an excellent example of how valuable this would be as an account level, rather than an app instance, config. An Administrator could configure each person's account through the web ui rather than setting preferences on each device/app instance. Further, each time a new device is introduced, that app instance must be manually configured.

Thanks!

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. :) We're here if you have some other questions.

This discussion has been closed.