Why not offer same feature as lastpass after death? What about this workaround?

JBallin
JBallin
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Families

Seems secure enough and is obviously opt-in. A sends B a request to have access to A in case of death. If A dies, B sends a request to view last pass and if A doesn't respond to email within pre-alloted period, B gets access to A's account.

I'm considering upgrading to family but currently I have my other family member using last pass in large part because of this feature. I don't like the idea of storing BOTH keys to my account somewhere physical.

Work-around idea: Provide master password to family member and have them store it in 1password but I'll keep a physical copy of my Account Key for them to find if I pass, allowing them access without having both keys stored anywhere (Master is obviously easier for me to remember so I chose not to store that one physically).

Potential issue is that they would be able to access any of my devices that I have access to but I have all of my devices password protected and I trust them.

Is it a hard rule to never give out your Master Password?

Team Recovery is interesting but would require the team member to have access to the person's email account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:death

Comments

• Hi @JBallin - We appreciate the feedback and feature request. I'll be happy to share my use case for this situation. I have a 1Password Families account that I share with my wife. I have added my email account to our Shared vault so she will have access to this. She is also a "Family Organizer" which means she can place my account into recovery if she needs to access anything within my Personal vault. She will then have access to my email account just in case. Most of the items she will need in the case of an emergency are already within our Shared vault. We both printed out our Emergency Kits and keep them locked up in a safe - including our Master Passwords.

Is it a hard rule to never give out your Master Password?

We recommend to never share the keys to your account with anyone. But like I mentioned, my wife has access to this information on our Emergency Kits which is stored in our safe. Ultimately the decision is completely up to you :+1:

Sorry for not having a better answer at the moment. I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and I will make sure to mention this to the team. Let us know if you have any further questions and I'll be happy to help out.

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member

Got it, thanks!

• Anytime @JBallin, we're always happy to hear from you. Our door is always open :+1:

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

I signed up for 1P/Families during the Family Day promotion and am really only starting to get my feet wet on its features. But several years ago, my wife and I put sealed envelopes in our safe deposit box which contain our 1P passwords and Dropbox logins. Or at least that's what I put in my envelope. I trust that it's what she put in hers as well. :-)

• Hi @benfdc - It's great to see you in the forums and congrats on the new 1Password Families account. Yes, you can do the same for your Emergency Kits now :-) Just don't forget to write your Master Password in the provided space at the bottom :wink: A safe deposit box is great idea plus it's off-site just in case :+1:

This discussion has been closed.