Minimizing the application presents a weird UX flaw

Options
12preschph
12preschph
Community Member

When you minimize the main 1Password 6 application on Mac OS, the following happens:

1. You minimize the main application
  2. The application look like it "locked" but it didn't. It shows the master password field
  3. You click the window in the tray to bring the 1Password window back up
  4. For about 1 second, you are presented with the master password field to start typing in
  5. After 1 second, the lock slides open because it was never really locked to begin with

This create a small issue in that I will click the window to un-minimize the application. I will see it asking for the master password, so I look down to start typing it. Little do I know, the application "unlocked" when I looked down and I am now typing in the "Search 1Password" field in plain text!

It would be nice if the application didn't briefly show this master password text field. I've typed most of master password on my screen in that "Search 1Password" field multiple times. Luckily no one was near me to see it, but they could have been.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:minimize lock

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @12preschph,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this! The fact that the minimized 1Password icon shows the lock screen is intentional, as we wouldn't want any of your private data to be visible there - even though it would be hard for someone to read it. ;)

I see what you mean about the lock screen still appearing for a brief moment after bringing that window back up again. It's possible that's a normal side effect due to displaying that while minimized, so I'm not entirely sure if that's something we can change or if that's simply the way the OS handles it. I can check with our developers though, and maybe test another app that behaves similarly when minimized to see if the same thing happens.

If it turns out this is something we can change from our end of things, hopefully we'll be able to improve that in the future. Thanks again for letting us know! If you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.