Login list closes too quickly. how do I keep it open?

jerry1
jerry1
Community Member

When I open the login list and scroll down to a login entry the list closes before I can edit the entry. I am using 1Password 6, version 6.6.4 on a Mac with Firefox

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Siera 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Login list closes too quickly. how do I keep it open?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jerry1,

Can you please elaborate on the exact steps you're taking in order to edit a Login item? For example, are you trying to do that in the main 1Password app or in 1Password mini / browser extension? When you find the Login item, do you get as far as clicking the Edit button? If you're doing this in 1Password mini, do you see the item details appear once the Login item is highlighted? Do you click a certain button to edit the item or use a keyboard shortcut? Are you scrolling through the list of Logins with your mouse/trackpad, or with the arrow keys on your keyboard?

The more details you can give us about the steps you're taking, what you expect to happen, what happens instead and what you see, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• jerry1
    jerry1
    Community Member

Drew, I get the same result whether I am using the app or mini. When I click on Login the full list of my logins is displayed, but the list disappears within a few seconds if I can not open the login to edit or deploy it. Many times the login list disappears as I am scrolling down the list to find a particular login. Curiously, if I do get to the login in time and click on edit the login data window will stay open while I do the editing.

I am having a similar problem just logging into 1Password itself. The password screen disappears before I can even type it in.

Ideally, the list of logins should remain open until I am finished scrolling and have selected a login to activate or edit, just as the 1Passwordscreen should remain open until I have entered my password.

I should add that I have the same problem in other connections. For example, if I click on the mini and Search 1Password appears and I then click of the cogwheel, the men that opens disappears in a second or two.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jerry1,

Hmm, that's a very strange problem, I haven't heard of something like that happening before. When you say "the login list disappears as I am scrolling down the list to find a particular login", does that happen in the main app as well as mini? And if so, what exactly do you see in the main app when the Logins disappear? Does the entire app disappear? If so, it sounds like it might be crashing. Or do you mean the app is still open but the list of Logins appears to be empty? If so, do you still see all the item categories in the sidebar?

Similarly, when you say "The password screen disappears before I can even type it in" do you mean the 1Password app quits? Or is the main 1Password app window still open but doesn't show the master password field? In that case, what does it show instead? Or if the entire window disappears/closes, do you still see the "1Password" menu at the top of the screen (next to the  menu)? Do you ever see a message telling you the app unexpectedly quit, or one that gives you the option to send a crash report?

If you're able to unlock the app, but then it disappears when scrolling through the Logins, do you have to unlock it again when you reopen it? Or is it still unlocked from before?

• jerry1
    jerry1
    Community Member

The login list disappears only when I am in mini, but not in the main app. The problem I have with the 1Password password occurs when I am trying to open the app. So if the window disappears I am back to my desktop, or whatever program was open when I tried to log into 1Password, and the 1Password menu at the top of the screen disappears. I do not get either of the messages you describe. As to your last question, I do not have to unlock the app again when the scrolling window disappears. The app remains unlocked.

Should I try to reinstall 1Password? Could the problem be something outside the app? I have not experienced the disappearance on other apps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying, @jerry1! You previously said you saw "the same result whether I am using the app or mini", but now it sounds like you're seeing one problem in mini, and a different problem in the main app (although they might be related).

So, for the problem with the main 1Password app:

The problem I have with the 1Password password occurs when I am trying to open the app. So if the window disappears I am back to my desktop, or whatever program was open when I tried to log into 1Password, and the 1Password menu at the top of the screen disappears. I do not get either of the messages you describe.

From that description, it doesn't really sound like the main app is crashing. Instead, it sounds like you could be quitting the main app, closing the main app window (which quits the main app), hiding it, or simply switching to another app that is open on your Mac. Is it possible you're doing any of those things?

When the main app suddenly disappears, try using the ⌘+Tab keyboard shortcut to switch between the open apps on your Mac, then continue to hold down the ⌘ key. Do you see 1Password in the open apps that appear there?

Should I try to reinstall 1Password?

It's certainly worth trying that, yes. Please follow these steps:

1. Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the 1Password app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    2. Empty the Trash.
    3. Reboot your Mac.
    4. After your Mac restarts, download 1Password again (if you're using the version from our website, you can get a new copy from our download site).
    5. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation and follow the steps.
    6. When you're done, find the new 1Password app in the Applications folder and double-click on it.

Let us know how it goes and if that makes any difference. Thanks! :)

• jerry1
    jerry1
    Community Member

Reinstalled the app but it made no difference, The list of logins (using the mini) stays open for only 2 seconds.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@jerry1, you didn't mention anything about the main 1Password app - does that mean it stays open for you now? And you're only having trouble with 1Password mini?

• jerry1
    jerry1
    Community Member

The main app seems to be working ok now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jerry1,

That's good, it sounds like progress! :)

As for the problem in 1Password mini: Can you please give us a step-by-step description of what you do and what you see happening on the screen? For example, the following details should help us understand more about what you're experiencing on your end:

• Do you open 1Password mini by clicking the 1Password icon in your Mac's menu bar, or by clicking the 1Password extension icon in Firefox's toolbar? Or do you open it by using the ⌥⌘\ or ⌘\ keyboard shortcut?
    • If you try each of the above methods, does the same problem happen each time?
    • When the 1Password mini window is open, do you go to the 'Logins' submenu and then scroll through that list?
    • Are you scrolling through the list of Logins with a mouse, a trackpad, or the arrow keys on your keyboard?
    • Once you highlight an item in the Logins list, the item details should appear after a brief moment. Do you see the item details appear once a Login item is highlighted, or does the mini window close before that happens?
    • At what exact point does the mini window / list close? Is it while scrolling through the Logins, when trying to view the details of a Login item, when trying to anchor and/or edit an item, or something else?
    • If the problem happens when trying to edit a Login item, do you try to click the 'Edit' button, or do you use the ⌘E keyboard shortcut?
    • Are you able to anchor the item details (by either clicking the anchor button or using the ⌘O keyboard shortcut)?

Basically, it will help us if you can be very specific about the steps you're taking to reproduce this issue. Thanks! :)

• jerry1
    jerry1
    Community Member

I'm beginning to think this is not just a 1Password problem. I've had the very same problem with a drop-down list in another context.

Bu, to answer your questions: Here is the sequence. I click on the mini window, and then on Logins. I get the usual drop-down list of logins and I start to scroll through it with my mouse. If I am lucky I can get to a login item and click on it. When that happens the list disappears, the web site details appear and the site opens, and my ID and password are inserted in the website login screen. If I need to edit the login I can do so when the website login screen appears. No problem. More frequently, however, when I am scrolling down the drop-down list the list disappears before I can click on a login item.

You may have led me to a fix. If I click the Command 0 shortcut as soon as the drop-down list appears it stabilizes the list and I can scroll through it at will and choose a login without the drop-down list closing. I have no idea why this happens, but I am grate4ful to you for the workaround.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jerry1,

I'm glad that workaround is helpful!

It's normal for the mini window to close once you click on a Login item, because (as you already know), that will open the website and fill the sign-in form. But from your description, it sounds like the mini window often closes/disappears before you can even navigate to the Login item you want. The only other possibility I thought of was that perhaps you inadvertently moved the cursor out of the Logins list - but in that case, the main mini window should still be open, and it sounds like that's not the case, so I don't think that explains the problem.

From what you've described, it seems likely that something else is causing this problem for drop-down lists in general, not just in 1Password mini. Perhaps some other third party app related to the menu bar? If you're able to figure out what's causing that, we'd be interested to know. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.