Issue with Touch ID on iOS 10.3 ["Lock Now" locks to Master Password, not Touch ID]

System
edited March 2017 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Touch id for 1password on ipad air is not visible or working after ios update 10.3.

Comments

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Hi.

I am suffering a similar trouble while my situation is a bit different.
    I have also updated my iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6 to iOS 10.3, and 1Password worked just fine until I applied 1Password 6.5.4 update.
    After applying the 6.5.4 update, touch ID's finger print menu disappered from 1Password opening window, and now I am forced to type the master password manually. I reconfirmed the touch ID is set ON in the security setting of 1Password.
    As the same trouble is happening in my two different iOS devices, I strongly suspect that it is a bug of 1Password 6.5.4 or its incompatibility with iOS 10.3.
    Please fix the problem ASAP.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

I checked the trouble further, and I think I got an idea about what is happening.

I usually set the 1Password auto lock time interval for 2 minutes in its security setting, and when I restart 1Password after leaving my iPad mini 4 or iPhone for longer than 2 minutes, touch ID windows shows up as before.
    But if I choose “Lock Now” in its security setting and restart 1Password right away, touch ID window or finger print icon does not show up. I need to type my master password manually, or wait for another 2 minutes to use touch ID.
    It was not like this before, as far as I remember. Even if I locked the app manually, touch ID was immediately available (wasn’t it ?) That’s why I though touch ID was not working after updating to 6.5.4.

At this moment, unless I do not lock the app manually by tapping “Lock Now” menu, I am not requested for authentication for the 2 minutes in my case (and therefore no need to use touch ID or type master password manually), and after the 2 minutes I can use touch ID again.

So it seems there will no major difficulties to use the app under the current setting (as the time interval is still valid even if I close the app manually), but I think touch ID should be available immediately when the app is locked manually by using “Lock Now” menu.

• Hi @ojix2,

Thanks for the update!

But if I choose “Lock Now” in its security setting and restart 1Password right away, touch ID window or finger print icon does not show up. I need to type my master password manually, or wait for another 2 minutes to use touch ID.

That is correct, and working as intended. The "Lock Now" function always locks to the Master Password. Sorry this isn't more clear.

as far as I remember. Even if I locked the app manually, touch ID was immediately available (wasn’t it ?)

No, sorry, "Lock Now" has always locked to the Master Password.

:)

Ben

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding.
    Could you let me know, for my information, why you designed "Lock Now" function in that way ?
    In other words, what is the inconvenience to make Touch ID available after tapping "Lock Now" menu ?
    Is Touch ID authentication considered inferior to, or less reliable than typing Master Password ?

• The feature was designed prior to the existence of Touch ID, back when a PIN was the only option. The Lock Now feature provided folks with a way to lock down their devices to the more secure Master Password vs the 4-digit PIN e.x. when traveling where the chances of loss/theft of a device are higher.

It is still useful in that sense as there has been some speculation that at least in the US you could not be forced by the legal system to give up a password, but could be forced to give up your fingerprint. As such it may still be useful to have the ability to lock down 1Password such that it can only be unlocked using the Master Password.

Ben

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

Thank you for the explanation which totally makes sense.

• You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.