Can't change input language in iOS

Options
frostwolf1229
frostwolf1229
Community Member
edited April 2017 in iOS

I'm living in Korea right now, my system language is English, region is set to Korea. I have English, Korean and Chinese keyboard set in my phone. So when I have to fill in the info, the keyboard setting is fixed to Korean and can't change the language with that globe button which is the only way to change the language. I couldn't have registered to this site in 1Browser cause when entering email I can change the language but right after that when I clicked username section it turned back to that "stucked in Korean keyboard" situation again.
Also keyboard seems to stay there when I'm not try to input text.

1Password Version: 6.5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 10.2.1(14D27)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• frostwolf1229
    frostwolf1229
    Community Member
    Options

Like this

• frostwolf1229
    frostwolf1229
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@frostwolf1229: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I haven't encountered anything like what you're describing, and unfortunately I'm not confident that there's anything 1Password will be able to do to help since the keyboard is controlled entirely by iOS at the system level. That said, perhaps we can at least narrow down the problem and point you in the right direction if 1Password isn't involved.

First and foremost, please update to iOS 10.3. That will make sure that we're on the same page, and you'll have the benefit of all of the fixes and improvements Apple has made there in recent months. Just be sure to backup your data first. Better safe than sorry. And frankly simply restarting the device may help, and you'll end up doing that anyway in this process.

Next, it sounds like you have your system language set to English, with Korean and Chinese keyboards installed too. So do you only have those three keyboards to choose from when typing, or are there others?

I have several keyboards enabled myself, and as I said, I haven't seen anything with the "globe" disappearing. I've also installed the Korean (Standard) keyboard to test this. Are you certain you're using Apple's there? I noticed a few things in your screenshot that gave me pause:

• The "microphone" button is grey and not white
    • The "microphone" button is actually where the "globe" should be, and the "globe" should be grey
    • In most fields in 1Password, the "microphone" button should be disabled

So I guess the question is...if you tap the "microphone", does that function as the "globe" would? Also, within 1Password itself, what do you have Settings > Advanced > Language set to? That's the only thing I can think of where 1Password may interact with any of this. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• frostwolf1229
    frostwolf1229
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Thanks for the fast reply. I've upgraded my phone to 10.3. I do only have 3 keyboard installed in my phone. Korean one is the one provided by Apple and like you I chose "Standard" as layout. Well when I touch the "mic" button it shows up that siri like UI and waves. I tried some test. It seems when I changed "Preferred Language order" in Language&Region menu, it affects keyboard setting some how. But in any circumstance when I add Korean keyboard it happens again. Can you try to change your region to South Korea? I don't know if this is the problem or not. Thanks for your sincere reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frostwolf1229: Wow. I never knew this "preferred language order" setting existed, and the black screens saying only "Setting Language..." and "Setting Region" for five minutes each were terrifying. I've still never seen the keyboard without the "globe" icon, though sometimes Siri's "microphone" disappears — probably due to a bad connection. I guess the question I have now is, do you have the same "disappearing globe" issue only in 1Password? If so, I'm still not sure what the solution is, but that's at least something. It could be that the app is simply damaged, and reinstalling it might help. Just be sure to backup your data first. But barring that, it may be best to contact Apple. The system keyboard should work correctly regardless of your region settings (which should really only affect things like date/time/number formats). Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.