Master password has been reverted?

henry0000
henry0000
Community Member

My master password has reverted itself back to the previous password.

I was browsing Safari and decided to login to a website. Upon clicking on the 1Password extension, I entered my master password and it was not recognised. I tried numerous times and my password was rejected. I am 100% certain I was entering it correctly.

Several month ago, I had changed the password to this latest new one. It was quite a simple change, adding an extra three characters to the old password. I tried typing in the OLD password into the 1Password - and it worked.

I also went to 1Password app on my Apple iPhone and typed in the OLD password - and it worked?!

The NEW correct password is NOT being accepted (the new password has been working fine for 2 months since it waschanged).

So it seems my OLD password is now being accepted?! Why is this??

Extra info: I recently upgraded from OS El Capitan to Sierra several days ago. Since the upgrade, I am sure the correct NEW password has been entered successfully.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@henry0000: It sounds like you may simply have two (or more) copies of 1Password, or at least data for it. A Spotlight search might shed some light on things. Where did you purchase the app, and where have you installed it from? Also, check the path to the vault you're using on your iPhone. Does that match the location on your Mac?

• henry0000
    henry0000
    Community Member

@brenty : Hi, I just checked for additional copies and couldn't find any in Spotlight. I have a single copy of the 1Password application, and also one version of the 1Password.opvault file, which is located in Dropbox.

The app was purchased direct from yourselves years ago (and has been wonderful!) and has been installed usually on two devices at a time - my Macbook laptop and iPhone.

I recall the previous 1Password update required a manual update, so maybe this could have caused issues, but it appears there are no additional copies.

The path to the vault on the iPhone and Macbook are both the same.

EDIT: Upon checking the Dropbox path, I notice there is a duplicate .ws.agile.1Password.settings file in the root directory of Dropbox. (This file wasnt visible in OSX finder immediately as it's considered a hidden file?, but was visible via iOS Dropxbox). This is a duplicate copy of a version in the correct location, but seems to be a newer version. Maybe it was created in the last upgrade? I've just tried deleting the older copy, but it doesnt resolved the problem of the the password error, as I'm assuming the master password information is not hidden in the settings file?

This discussion has been closed.