Can 1Pass vs 6.6.4 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4 folder sync with 1Pass 4.4.3 on Mac OSX 10.9.5

mphr125
mphr125
Community Member

I recently upgraded to OS 10.12.4 Sierra on my laptop. I always did a local sync with my primary 1Pass folder on my iMac desktop using ChronoSync. Home environment, just don't want to host my 1passkey on Dropbox or anyone else's server. Never any issues until I upgraded to Sierra and cannot get the two files to sync. I had to do a backup on the desktop and restore on the laptop just so I could have access to my passwords. Is folder sync something that cannot be done anymore? Or is it just because I have two different versions of 1Pass? If I upgraded my host computer to Sierra, would it then be possible?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Local Folder

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mphr125: Possibly, but please take the precaution of backing up your data zealously, as depending on how you set things up there will probably be many "moving parts" involved.

The first thing to keep in mind is that 1Password 4 was developed in 2012 and hasn't been under active development for years. We've made a number of improvements in 1Password 6 this past year to more gracefully handle some edge cases involving folder sync on removable drives. We get some notification from the OS in those cases. But if you're using a network volume the same is not true, and data loss may occur if the volume goes offline. This happens to me regularly with macOS and has for years, so it's not a matter of "if" so much as "when". Better safe than sorry.

That said, while we've made many other improvements in 1Password 6, it uses the same basic vault format, so you probably won't have any issues with the data itself unless there's a bug in 1Password 4 that we weren't aware of at the time. Many people have been using it since it was released though, so it isn't something I'd lose any sleep over. Just backup your data.

I guess all of that is to say that if you can upgrade to Sierra, I would. Not only will you get all of the improvements in 1Password 6, but you'll also have the benefit of years of macOS security fixes and other improvements. In that vein, I would be reticent to recommend Yosemite or El Capitan, but 1Password 6 works on those too if it helps.

• mphr125
    mphr125
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. It's inevitable that I will have to upgrade both computers to Sierra, and comforting to think I'll be able to use 1Pass to folder sync once again. I thought I'd upgrade one computer at a time to test out some of my older but expensive and important software to see if they would continue to work on Sierra. Obviously, my first software test was a fail. I'll work around it until I upgrade both. Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem! That sounds like a nice methodical way to do it, even if it takes some time. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.