Feature Request: Disable Auto-Submit on specific sites

simsong
simsong
Community Member

There are many sites for which I do not wish to store the submitted. I would like to disable autosubmit on these sites by checking a box in the panel, "do not auto-submit on this site." That information should be stored without encryption. If it isn't possible to do that, perhaps there could be a bloom filter that stores a list of the sites we do not wish to auto-submit on.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @simsong,

This is already possible. Simply edit the login item for the site you don't want to submit for and change the submit pop-up to be the never option.

Rudy

• simsong
    simsong
    Community Member

But I don't have a login item for the site...?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @simsong,

I think we might be talking about different things: The "auto-submit" feature is a way for 1Password to automatically submit a sign-in form on a website after it fills your username and password there. Normally, if you manually enter your username and password on a website, you would then submit that form by hitting the return/enter key on your keyboard, or by clicking the 'Login' or 'Submit' button. 1Password can automatically "click" that button for you after it fills your username/password - that's what we mean by "auto-submit". If you don't have a Login item for that site, that means you aren't using 1Password to fill your username & password on that website, and therefore 1Password isn't automatically submitting that sign-in form.

Can you please describe what feature you would like to disable? What is 1Password doing (or offering to do) that you would like to prevent?

• simsong
    simsong
    Community Member

What's happening to me is that I'm going to a website (e.g. https://fred.com), and I'm typing in a username and password, and 1Password is offering to save it. But I _don't _ want 1Password to save it, because the owners of fred.com have a policy prohibiting me from saving my password in a password manager. 1Password helpfully asks me to save it. I want there to be a checkbox on the helpful screen saying "Never save passwords for this website."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for clarifying, @simsong! If you don't want 1Password to offer to save a Login for that website, then the next time it prompts you to do that, you can click the 'gear' icon in the lower-left corner of the dialog and choose "Never Autosave for this Site".

Alternately, from the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar, then select the Browser tab. There, you can enter the domain you want to exclude from autosave in the box near the bottom, under "(except on the following domains)".

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• simsong
    simsong
    Community Member

Thanks for the comments.

With all due respects, it makes no sense to have the gear on the panel and then to have a single tab under the gear which says "Never autosave for this site." This violates several principles of user interface design, including the "visibility principle" and the "simplicity principle" (see Wikipedia). Hiding this information under a gear, which is not obviously a user interface control, does not promote usability. Having just a single widget underneath the gear means that the "savings" of using the gear to conserve screen real estate are non-existant. I strongly recommend that you replace the gear with a checkbox that can be checked to "never autosave for this site."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for the feedback & suggestion, we appreciate it! We're always looking into ways to improve the user experience, so maybe that's something we'll consider changing in a future version.

Aside from that, I hope that feature is helpful. We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.