using iCloud app-specific passwords

jadlin
jadlin
Community Member

Hi, I'm using the current beta, but this is more of an iCloud question (I think).

Moving from Dropbox to iCloud for my sync service (because that gives me one less password to memorize in case I lose all my hardware). While on the iCloud site, I noticed Apple has app-specific passwords ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397 ) but not sure how to use them for 1P sync service.

I tried just moving my sync service to iCloud, which only worked with my full-access iCloud password.

I'm probably not doing something right, but don't know what to change. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.7.BETA-3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OSX 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @jadlin ,

You did it correctly. There is no app-specific password for iCloud sync. You need to use the full-access iCloud password. The reason for this is that 1Password never prompts you for your iCloud credentials so 1Password never has access to them to store them.

App specific passwords are for apps that need to store your iCloud credentials themselves to access their services. For example, a third party email or calendar app needs credentials to log in. 1Password uses macOS's iCloud infrastructure to sync so doesn't need them.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jadlin
    jadlin
    Community Member

Understood, thanks.

Curious - 1P uses the icloud infrastructure but not credentials... never stores them... I'm probably interpreting this differently. 1P stores our iCloud name/password, but these are different from credentials?

Also, I'm assuming the storage of these backups/syncs (two different files?) hits my storage quota even if I don't see the files in the iCloud drive.

Thanks again,

-Josh

• @jadlin,

1Password doesn't store your name/password for iCloud sync. If you're using the Mac App Store version, it has direct access by way of your signed in Apple ID that you see in the iCloud System Preferences pane. If you have the Agile Store version, you're prompted to login via a web browser, after which we're given an expiring token that is used to access iCloud.

Backups should only be stored locally as far as I'm aware, so i don't think that should factor into iCloud drive storage quotas at all.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.