Backing up/syncing multiple vaults

bluebits
bluebits
Community Member

I just reformatted my machine over the weekend and it looks like I didn't properly set all of my vaults to back up. It looks like the only thing 1password backed up to dropbox is my primary vault, but I had two other vaults for clients and work.

...Do you have to manually sync each vault individually, or am I missing something obvious here?

I do have a backup of my machine prior to reformatting, and I've been digging through the data in /Library/Application Support/1Password 4, but haven't seen anything too interesting yet. Restoring a backup from this saved snapshot did not bring my vaults back to life.

Halp!

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @bluebits,

Ugh... I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. When using standalone vaults, yes, every vault has to be setup to sync specifically. So in this case you'd have wanted to have synced your secondary vaults to Dropbox as well.

If you have a backup of the Mac before the reformatting, you'll want to look in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/. In there you should find backup files. Here's what you'll want to do:

• Find the latest backup file. These backup files contain all of the vaults configured.
    • Drag that backup to your desktop
    • Open 1Password and make sure it's locked
    • Use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data menu item which will have you enter in a code to confirm it. Once that's done 1Password will quit
    • Relaunch 1Password and it'll treat you like a new user
    • Select "More Options..." on the first screen and choose "On My Mac"
    • The next screen should have a button to allow you to browse and select the backup file. Select it from your Desktop.
    • It should ask you to unlock with your Master Password, do so.
    • Once unlocked, you should recognize everything. Go into Preferences > Sync and setup sync again to Dropbox. You'll want to enable sync for those secondary vaults too while you're in there.

Let me know how that goes.

Rick

• bluebits
    bluebits
    Community Member

@rickfillion Thanks for your help, Rick! It looks like 1password is looking for .agilekeychain or .opvault - the backup files from my old machine end in .1p4_zip. Any ideas?

• @bluebits : sorry... I made a mistake. When choosing "More Options..." you should choose "Restore from Backup" and not "On My Mac".

That should let you choose the 1p4_zip file.

Rick

• bluebits
    bluebits
    Community Member

@rickfillion You rock, Rick! Thank you. Worked like a charm.

• Woo! That's great to hear.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.