Predicting which password out of many will be used for auto-fill

Options

Hello! There are many sites for which I have more than one login, either in my personal vault or shared across teams. On some sites, pressing the cmd+\ shortcut brings up the mini window and I can choose which one to use before submitting. On other sites, 1P will just automatically pick one of them and submit. I haven't been able to identify any pattern in which thing will happen on a given domain.

Is there a way to alter this behavior so that I'm always prompted to choose manually when there is more than one entry for a domain (or the inverse of that: so that auto-submit will only happen when there is exactly one entry for a domain)? And failing that, is there a way I can learn to predict when this behavior will be triggered and when not?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @BaseCase,

1Password will always ask which you want to use if it matches multiple Login items to the open page. So if you have a site where you have multiple Login items and 1Password isn't then there are a couple of things worth checking.

1. Use the menu option Edit > Find > Show Search Options and alter it so it looks like this . If you see any entries here they won't be visible in 1Password mini, won't be part of any matching and so could cause ⌘\ to fill with no interaction.
    2. Check that the Login items have matching website fields. If they don't match e.g. accounts.google.com vs www.gmail.com then 1Password won't list them together and so could cause ⌘\ to fill with no interaction.

If you're seeing an instance that isn't explained by this please let us know and we'll see if we can figure it out as the behaviour in 1Password is to fill with no interaction if it only finds a single matching Login item and to ask otherwise (so the behaviour you want).

• BaseCase
    BaseCase
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables, thanks for the reply! The behavior you described makes sense, so I think something odd must be happening on my end.

I've attached a gif that shows what happens when I hit the auto-fill keyboard shortcut on one particular site. You can see that it doesn't prompt me prior to filling, but when I click on the 1P icon, two different logins are shown. The shortcut command auto-picked the first one of them without prompting. On some sites, I am prompted to pick from multiple options before submit, but not on this one.

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but one of these accounts is in my personal vault and one is in a shared vault.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BaseCase,

Thanks for sending in that GIF - this could be caused by having slightly different website fields in your Login items. When you use the keyboard shortcut to fill a login, 1Password will attempt to find a Login item that best matches the URL in the currently active browser tab. If it can find a single result that matches best then it will fill that one. My guess is that one of your Login items has its website field set to https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/ and the other Login item has it's website field set to just destroyallsoftware.com or othersubdomain.destroyallsoftware.com.

If this is true, then 1Password can determine that when you're viewing the web page that has www as the subdomain of destroyallsoftware.com then the best choice of Login item is the first one and it will fill that for you.

The behaviour is a little different when you click on the 1Password browser extension button. Clicking the browser button will always cause the 1Password Mini to open. 1Password will try to show all the Login items that are a potential match for the website you're on. It looks at both the the subdomain and the top level domain which is likely why you're seeing two Login items.

Let me know if your Login items do indeed have a difference in their website fields. Hopefully that explains it.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• BaseCase
    BaseCase
    Community Member
    Options

@matthew_ag That was totally it! Thank you for the help :)

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great stuff, thanks for letting us know :chuffed: :+1:

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to write again. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.