Unable to apply license after OS reinstall

eluvish
eluvish
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Hello,

I recently had to reinstall my OS. When reinstalling 1password I got confused and didn't understand the difference between a standalone license and an account so I made an account, imported my data but that put me in some sort of trial mode which was strange since I purchased a license.

I have since deleted my 1password account and gone back to my old vault (lost data in the transition). I went to the 1password website to apply my license but it just won't stick and the applications continues to be in read only mode and continues to ask me to buy something I have already paid for.

I've tried applying the license several times (it says 'You are licensed!') and rebooting. I can also confirm that there is just one version of 1password on my computer.

How did I purchase? Apple App store.
When: end of March 2016.

1Password Version: 6.6.4 (664002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eluvish,

I'm sorry you've been having some trouble getting 1Password set up on your Mac after reinstalling the OS!

If you're seeing a message about being in read only mode, that means you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store. But it sounds like you have a license from our AgileBits Store - that license won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so you'll need to switch back to the AgileBits Store version.

To do that, drag 1Password.app from the Applications folder to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools). Then download the AgileBits Store version from our download site. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation. When you're done, open the new 1Password 6.app file in Applications and go through the setup procedure (if you sync your data via iCloud, you can choose iCloud from the initial 'Welcome' screen).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have trouble with that or if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• eluvish
    eluvish
    Community Member

Thanks this worked out. What's interesting is that it didn't work via iCloud but worked via a local vault "from the Mac App Store."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm happy to hear it's all sorted out now! I don't know why you wouldn't have been able to sync your data from iCloud when setting up the AgileBits Store version, but the reason it gave you the option to use the local vault from the Mac App Store version is because it found the local vault you created in the Mac App Store version (that data is now copied over to the database for the AgileBits Store version).

Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need more help! :)

This discussion has been closed.