Mac license read-only since downloading update yesterday

kentleytx
kentleytx
Community Member

I've used 1Password for several years. I purchased it through the iTunes. Last month and again yesterday when I installed updates, it became read-only. I was able to jump through a bunch of hoops last month and get it working again, but no such luck this time. It is still only read-only, and I'm wasting too much time trying to get it working again.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

Hi @kentleytx,

It sounds like you currently have the Mac App Store version of 1Password installed. That version will be in read-only mode unless you previously purchased it from the Mac App Store, make a new in-app purchase for it, or sign into a 1Password.com account.

You said you bought 1Password through iTunes, but the iTunes store only sells iOS apps. If you purchased 1Password for iOS, that would have been a separate purchase from 1Password for Mac. Do you remember if you made a purchase for the Mac version from the Mac App Store or from our AgileBits Store?

If you bought a license for 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store, you'll need to switch back to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. To do that, open the Applications folder and drag the 1Password.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools, as they can accidentally delete your data). Then download the AgileBits Store version from our download site. Open the .pkg file to start the installation, and when it's done, find the new 1Password 6.app file in Applications and double-click on it.

On the other hand, if you paid for 1Password through the Mac App Store but it's in read only mode, you may have recently downloaded it using a different Apple ID than the one you used to pay for it. In that case, drag the 1Password.app file to the Trash, launch the Mac App Store, and go to Store > Sign Out from the menu bar. Sign back in with the Apple ID you originally used to pay for 1Password, then download it from the Purchased tab.

Does that help? Please let us know how it all goes and/or if you have any questions about it. Thanks! :)

ref: SXH-62788-964

• kentleytx
    kentleytx
    Community Member

Drew, thanks for the help. I followed the steps you sent, but it's still not working. Still read-only. I had this same problem in March and was able to get it working again. Honestly, though, I don't remember all the steps I took to fix it. I'm guessing I purchased through the Mac App Store, but I can't remember for sure. I've used 1Password since around 2008 or so. The version I purchased on iTunes is likely what I use on my iPhone. I've had the same Apple ID since forever (at least 2005), but it's still not working. What else can I do?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kentleytx,

I'm sorry the steps didn't help! If you're sure you paid for 1Password through the Mac App Store, but it's in read-only mode, there might be a bigger problem which is causing this to happen. To help us figure out what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• kentleytx
    kentleytx
    Community Member

Done. Support ID is #NYG-93123-639. Thanks.

• LauraR
    edited April 2017

@kentleytx - Thank you for the diagnostics report. We will reply to the ticket via email and help you further :)

ref: NYG-93123-639

This discussion has been closed.