Lost Password - not finished editing before Auto-Lock

msilano
msilano
Community Member

I read that this issue was resolved, but it just happened to me. :-(

Was editing a record. 1Password on the Mac automatically locked, the edit window indicated "Locked" (1password mini), I unlocked, and my edits were gone.

Version 6.6.1.

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: 4.6.4.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:lost edit

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @msilano,

I'm sorry to hear you lost some edits! Unfortunately, 1Password.com accounts do not currently support pending changes, so if you edit an item in an account vault but don't save the changes before 1Password locks, those changes will be lost.

Do you happen to know where you read that this worked differently? If so, please let us know - I'm curious if it was referring to something else, and I'd love to help clear up any confusion. Thanks! :)

• msilano
    msilano
    Community Member

Hi Drew. Thanks for the reply.

Please see this thread of the same title. It mentioned 1password for teams but didn't explicitly mention the sync method.

I'm hopeful that you have this item on your roadmap. Losing my edits was somewhat unexpected. Granted, this was the first negative surprise I've had with 1Password, but it would have been nice not to have experienced it.

Thanks again,
    Mike

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @msilano,

Thank you for the link to that discussion! "1Password Teams" is another type of 1Password.com account, so the sync method is the same as it is for you - automatically, through our servers.

That other thread is over a year old, and at that point, 1Password Teams was only available as a beta, and the other types of 1Password.com accounts (1Password Families, and individual subscriptions) did not yet exist. So, some features changed a bit by the time 1Password.com accounts were officially available. It actually looks like most of the information in that discussion is still correct, but it's a little confusing, so I'd like to clear that up:

Unsaved changes are handled differently depending on whether you're creating a new item or editing an existing item. And in the case of editing existing items, unsaved changes work differently in 1Password.com account vaults than they do in local/standalone vaults (i.e. vaults that aren't part of a 1Password.com account, and only exist locally on a device unless they are synced via an option like Dropbox or iCloud). Here's how it all currently works:

• If you create a new item in either an account vault or a local vault and enter some information, but then 1Password is locked before you save it, that new item will be saved for you.
    • If you edit an existing item in an account vault but don't save the changes before 1Password is locked, those changes will be lost.
    • If you edit an existing item in a local vault but don't save the changes before 1Password is locked, the item details will show the original data, and there will be a 'Resume Editing' button you can click on to see the unsaved changes (and then decide to either save or discard those changes).

1Password.com account vaults don't have the ability to save pending edits in a "Resume Editing" state like local vaults do. However, the "Resume Editing" option isn't necessarily an ideal solution either. Our developers have been looking into options for a better way to handle this going forward, so hopefully we'll have something in the future that will help prevent losing your unsaved changes.

I'm sorry that doesn't help to bring back the edits you already lost, but aside from that, I'm glad you've been enjoying 1Password. Please let us know if you have more questions or need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.