Unable to recover data - "Your saved data appears to be newer than this version..."

Annoyedwith1Password
Annoyedwith1Password
Community Member

I am ten minutes from roboform for Mac.
Someone needs to assist me. I am a long standing customer of 1Password, and I am extremely annoyed by the development of my situation.

Timeline and events:
1. Macbook Pro - failed disk . w/1Password 6.2.1 (I think)
2. New OS on New disk. (Sierra)
3. I have my current "1Password.agilekeychain" file/directory from backups. (set aside)
4. Downloaded latest 1Password and installed it.
5. Attempted to open "1Password.agilekeychain" to access my data. Was told to create a .PIF file or CSV or something by using the OLDER version of 1Password.
6. I uninstall "1Password".
7. I locate and attempt to install "1Password v6.2.1". (zip file saved in backups)
8. NOW...I am being terrorized by a message that won't go away.
"Updated Version Required" - "Your saved data appears to be newer than this version of 1Password can use. Please update your copy of 1Password to its latest version".

I need some assistance to access my data.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Annoyedwith1Password,

I'm very sorry you're running into a problem when trying to access your data with an older version of 1Password! We can definitely help you with this.

That error message is related to an update to the 1Password database schema. It's not something we've needed to do very often, but version 6.3 included a change to the way it reads/writes the local SQLite database on your Mac. When you installed and set up the latest version of 1Password, it created a database on your Mac which cannot be read by versions older than 6.3, and that's why version 6.2.1 gives you an error.

You said you saw something that said you needed to create a .1pif or .csv file with an older version of 1Password, but I'm not sure what message you saw or why that would be necessary. Those file formats are used when exporting/importing data in 1Password, but you have a .agilekeychain file which is a sync file format. There are a couple different ways to sync data from an .agilekeychain file into 1Password, and you don't need an older version of the app to do that.

So, let's start by removing version 6.2.1 - just go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password 6.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools). Then go to our download site and download the installer for the latest version (currently 6.6.4). Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the brief installation. After installation is complete, go to the Applications folder, find the new 1Password 6.app file, and double-click on it to open the app.

When you open it, what do you see? If you had previously gone through the setup, it should ask for your master password - if so, do you see your data once you unlock it? Or do you see the 'Welcome' screen (which has options such as 1Password.com, Dropbox, and iCloud)?

If it asks for your master password but you don't see your data when you unlock it, please go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar. In the Preferences window, do you see a Sync tab? If not, click on the Accounts tab - is there an account listed there?

The next steps will depend on the current state of 1Password on your Mac, so please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• Annoyedwith1Password
    Annoyedwith1Password
    Community Member

I now have 6.6.4 installed (again).
    Answers:

When you open it, what do you see?

- It asked for master password.  
    - The password assigned during first install of 6.6.4 remained persistent.

if so, do you see your data once you unlock it?

- No

In the Preferences window, do you see a Sync tab?

- No

Accounts tab - is there an account listed there?

- Yes.  It's the "trial mode" account from my first install of 6.6.4 on this fresh image.

Historically, my 1Password data has never been stored in the cloud (yours or any others..).
    I honestly would prefer that it never use your cloud services to store a copy of it.

I am still unable to retrieve my data from my 1Password.agilekeychain file that holds my data.
    When I double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain file, I receive the following message:

"Can't open keychain" -- Importing from keychains is not currently supported in vaults from 1Password accounts.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Annoyedwith1Password! That's exactly what I needed to know. When you set up 1Password on your new Mac drive, you apparently signed up for a 1Password.com account, which is a new service we introduced last year (that's the account you see in Preferences > Accounts). When you unlock 1Password on your Mac, you're seeing a vault in your account (which is empty because you haven't put any data in your account yet). And the reason you don't see a Sync tab in Preferences is because vaults in your account automatically sync with our own servers, so there aren't any sync settings to configure.

Regardless of whether you decide to continue using your new account, you can create a local vault for the data in your .agilekeychain file by following these steps:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for your 1Password account and click Create Primary Vault.

That will create a vault named "Primary" which is separate from your account. Now you can go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, choose 'Folder' as the sync option for your Primary vault, then click the Choose button and select your 1Password.agilekeychain file. Click Merge with Existing and enter the master password for the .agilekeychain file when prompted.

At this point, if all goes well, you can choose whether or not to continue using your 1Password.com account. There are many benefits of a 1Password.com account, and you currently have a free trial, so you can try it out for a while to see if you like it. If you'd like to try the account, you can move the items from your local Primary vault to your 1Password.com account vault.

On the other hand, if you're sure you don't want the account, you don't need to move your items at all. You can leave them in the Primary vault and go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts to sign out of your account.

I hope this helps but please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• davidng
    davidng
    Community Member

I am having symptoms very similar to Annoyedwith1Password. I just upgraded to using a 1Password account (I am holding off on upgrading my other systems). I got a message: "Your saved data appears to be newer than this version of 1Password can use. Please update your copy of 1Password to its latest version." Unfortunately, I am already running version 6.7.1 of 1Password, so I can't update to the latest version. I tried reinstalling 1Password, by running the installer, and again by deleting the application first and running the installer. I can't get the application running, so I can't try to manage the vaults. I had a second copy of the application on my system, which I deleted. And I have restarted my Mac numerous times.

Additionally, I get messages about not being able to connect with 1Password mini. I tried to delete the 1Password extension from all my web browsers, hoping that would allow 1Password to run, but it didn't help. And I continued to get the 1Password mini message even after (I think) I deleted all the extensions.

I would appreciate any suggestions to get 1Password running on my Mac again. I have a second Mac and two iOS devices on which 1Password still seems to work. And I can log in to my 1Password account, but it has only three entries. Is there a way to use these other devices to get my "broken" Mac working again?

My system:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports), 16 GB memory
    macOS Sierra 10.12.5

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davidng: It sounds like you may have used the 1Password 6.8 beta, which made some changes to the database. The best thing to do would be to drag the 1Password app to the Trash, restart your Mac, and install the latest beta there and opt out of betas in Preferences > Updates if you'd like to go back to the stable channel once 6.8 is released to everyone (which should be any day now). That should do the trick. Let me know how it turns out!

• davidng
    davidng
    Community Member

Thanks, that seemed to do the trick! I can run 1Password again. I did not intentionally install a beta version before, so I'm not sure how that happened. Probably won't be able to figure that out since I downloaded 1Password, moved to trash, and emptied quite a few times. I'll finish setting up with my 1Password account in a little bit. But does this mean I have to install the beta version on my other Mac too?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, that seemed to do the trick! I can run 1Password again. I did not intentionally install a beta version before, so I'm not sure how that happened.

@davidng: Ah, gotcha. Perhaps you accidentally opted-in to the beta and weren't aware of it 'til you ran into this issue. Glad that helped!

Probably won't be able to figure that out since I downloaded 1Password, moved to trash, and emptied quite a few times.

Definitely double-check your update settings.

I'll finish setting up with my 1Password account in a little bit. But does this mean I have to install the beta version on my other Mac too?

Nope! It affects only the local database in the app on that Mac, so it won't affect other devices. We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.