iCloud Session expired - is this genuine?

skusan
skusan
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Hi all, just a bit jittery after the news I've been hearing about another password manager and security. When I tried to use 1password today on the Mac I got a pop up with 'iCloud Session Expired' and asking me to sign in with AppleID.
I just want to check this is genuine before I type in my appleID. I recently switched on 2 factor authentication on iCloud- is this related? Thanks for any help you can give.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OSX 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skusan: If you're getting an iCloud sign in dialog from Apple, then yes it's genuine. I wish I could offer more information than that, but frankly I find the login prompts to be confusing myself, not necessarily corresponding to anything I'm doing. I also use Apple's two-factor authentication myself, but so far that hasn't been required to sync 1Password with iCloud (at least in my experience), only username and password. If in doubt, take a screenshot. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Be sure not to include any sensitive information though, as this is a public forum. Alternatively, you can dismiss the login, disable iCloud sync in 1Password Preferences > Sync and then set it up again and Merge. That way when it comes up when you re-enable iCloud sync, you'll know for certain that it was triggered by 1Password.

But most importantly, when you use 1Password, only you have access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even when you sync it, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since your Master Password is only known by you and never transmitted, no one else has the means to decrypt your 1Password data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.