1Password mini constantly prompting to install Firefox browser extension when already installed

Options

Over the past week or so the 1Password mini menu has been prompting me each day to install the Firefox browser extension. There have been instances of this in the past few months but only ever couple weeks. Initially I took this to mean that there had been an update but it has happened so many times (essentially it happens daily to me for the past 6 days) that I have become suspicious. Checking the version of Firefox (52.0.2) and the 1Password add-on (4.6.3) neither appears to have changed recently and neither have incremented their version after I have "installed" the browser extension. The Firefox add-on detail page shows the most recent update date changing when I do the install but the version is not changing. I am running version 6.6.4 (664001) of 1Password Mac on my Macbook Pro Retina 10,2 under macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

I would very much like the 1Password mini to accurately determine that the Firefox browser extension is installed and up to date and to stop prompting me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.6.4 (664001)
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:daily prompt to install browser extension in firefox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smjPenn91,

Do you happen to have more than one user account on this Mac and use fast user switching by any chance? The reason I ask is I'm not aware of any bugs in this particular area of the code even if the message could easily be seen as overzealous. The extension currently uses a WebSocket to connect to 1Password and one downside of this approach is that the extension in one user account will be seen by 1Password in another. We have code to ensure 1Password won't talk to an extension in this scenario but 1Password will still be notified of the extension's existence.

Can you check to see if Firefox or indeed any browser is running in another user account and has an old copy of the extension running. If that user account makes use of 1Password then updating the extension should be all that is needed and if they don't uninstalling the extension is the better route.

If this isn't the cause please let us know and we'll continue working with you to figure this out.

• smjPenn91
    smjPenn91
    Community Member
    Options

No, unfortunately this machine has a single user account. The guest account exists but has never been used. Do you need me to provide any logs? I have run EtreCheck in the hopes of identifying any problems. Thanks in advance. FYI - I have not as yet been prompted to update the extension today (Firefox 52.0.2/Extension 4.6.3 updated last 4/7/17). I will post here again if it occurs as I work today.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smjPenn91,

Well that eliminates that as a theory. The next time you see this message can you create a diagnostic report and send it in please. This link will guide you through the steps.

For 1Password on your Mac

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+extension@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• smjPenn91
    smjPenn91
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic report submitted under ticket #GKN-23739-361

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @smjPenn91,

Thank you for posting the ticket ID, somebody will be in touch shortly.

ref: GKN-23739-361

• smjPenn91
    smjPenn91
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone who might stumble across this thread, I thought I would post a summary of the final resolution achieved with AgileBits tech support outside of this forum.

After a bit of detective work we determined that the phenomenon I was seeing was not actually a bug but rather a reflection of the specific order in which I was triggering things in my workflow and the different speed at which Firefox and 1Password execute their tasks on startup.

My workflow starts with triggering Firefox from the dock and while it is loading I go to 1Password Mini in the menu bar and unlock my vault. Apparently, the time it take Firefox to load the 1Password extension is sufficiently long that by quickly moving to 1Password Mini and unlocking the vault, the extension has not loaded in Firefox yet and the query that 1Password Mini makes when the vault is unlocked results in it suggesting that the extension needs to be installed when in fact it has just not loaded yet. Since there is only one check that occurs when the 1Password Mini menu is clicked, the prompt does not go away until the menu is release and clicked again even if Firefox has completed loading the extension. I have been able to replicate this behavior consistently in Firefox and also in Safari. Since this issue is clearly not a bug and not detrimental in any way, it probably does not justify resources to correct. Ultimately the best solution for me is to either reverse my workflow (unlock vault first then load Firefox) or to take a big swig of coffee between loading Firefox and unlocking my vault.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else who might encounter these symptoms.

Thanks again AgileBits tech support for working through this with me!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As a fan of coffee I can firmly get behind the latter option :tongue: Actually now I want coffee, excuse me... :lol:

This discussion has been closed.