Need 1Password files from time machine backup

ChrisDeibel
ChrisDeibel
Community Member

Since my iMac was crashing, Apple Support Genius wiped my disk and installed a new system and told me to move files from the time machine backup. I moved the 1Password Application, and got my license from 1Password email, but 1Password needs the file with all the passwords in it. Where can I find it? The latest time machine backup has Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support, but no 1Password entry. I think I bought my 1Password for Mac directly from 1Password. HELP! It may need other files as well, since when starting 1Password 6, it shows the Welcome to 1Password "New to 1Password" screen. Since I never knew where the files were before, I never tried sync with iCloud or Dropbox.
HELP!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ChrisDeibel,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your Mac, and that you're having trouble restoring your 1Password data! Your data is stored separately from the 1Password app, and because the app can't find your data on the new system, it shows the initial 'Welcome' screen. But we can help you find and restore your data.

First, if you had been using a 1Password.com account, you shouldn't need to find any 1Password data in the Time Machine backup - you just need to sign into your 1Password.com account from the 'Welcome' screen when you open the app.

If you hadn't been using a 1Password.com account, and you weren't using one of the other sync options, you should be able to find backups of your 1Password data in your Time Machine backup. Assuming you had been using 1Password 4, 5, or 6 before your hard drive was wiped, those backups should be in one of the following locations in Time Machine:

If you were using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

If you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

If you can find one of those Backups folders, you can either restore the latest backup file or the whole folder. You'll have the option to restore from a backup on the 'Welcome' screen of 1Password (More Options > Restore from Backup).

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

Thanks for trying, but no success. I had already tried that before I posted to the forum, since I found that info on the forum.
    I looked in both places you suggest, even though I purchased 1Password directly from Agilebits. In the backs.backupdb, Chris Deibel's computer, latest backup, Macintosh HD, Library, Application Support there is no file 1Password. No file named ~/Library/Containers either.
    There IS 1Password6 in Applications; I dragged it into the Applications folder on the iMac.
    I just spent an hour on the phone with poles support, who said they couldn't help me installing this so it works. HELP!

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

typo: that's "Apple support", not "poles support" ! Sorry!

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@ChrisDeibel Try this: In the Finder, type Cmd-Shft-G; Copy/Paste without the quotes but with the Tilde: "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/" Then open your TimeMachine from the menubar icon. You should be in the correct Library folder inside TimeMachine. HTH

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

Either I'm doing this wrong... or it doesn't work.
    The time machine backup for the iMac before its disk was wiped is Seagate.
    I double click Seagate, then Backups.backupdb, then Chris Deibel's Computer, then Latest, then Macintosh HD.
    In the Search box I typed Cmd-Shft-G, and in the resulting "Go to the folder:" box I entered
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/ and pressed Go.
    The result? "The folder can't be found."
    By the way, if I just enter to ~/Library/Application Support and press "go", at the top of the list I see 1Password 4, which contains three folders,
    b5PendingFieUpload, Data, and Watchtower. b5PendingFieUpload appears to be empty. Data has 6 files, Watchtower has one.
    All these files were created After the last time machine backup; After the disk was wiped and recreated by Apple.
    Apparently using Cmd-Shift-G and entering what I did caused the 1Password 4 folder to appear. But no Backups.
    If I leave the box with "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/" there for a few seconds, the last "/" disappears.
    I don't know what you mean by "Then open your TimeMachine from the menubar icon."
    Thanks for trying.

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

Further comment: when I did the above, as soon as I press "Go" with the "Go to the folder" box filled as you suggest, the Finder window no longer is pointing at the Seagate, but at the iMac hard disk. In fact, if I put only ~ in the "Go to the folder" box, it also points now to the iMac hard disk rather than to the Seagate backup.

• @ChrisDeibel,

you would need to navigate Backups.backupdb -> Chris Decibel's Computer -> Latest -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> your username -> Library -> Application Support -> 1Password 4 -> Backups

Rudy

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

I went to Backups.backupdb -> Chris Decibel's Computer -> Latest -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> chrisdeibel
    There is no Library folder there. I think it may be a hidden folder. I see many other folders, such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures etc. How can I see a hidden folder?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Try the following.

Use the Go menu, and press the Option key. That should allow you to open your Library folder on your main hard drive. From there (if you have "Show Time Machine in menu bar set from System Preferences) choose Enter Time Machine from the menu bar TM icon. That will give access to all the TM backups of your Library, and just choose a suitable date.

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

this did not work. I held down option as I selected Go and below it Library. Holding down Commnd while clicking on the file name Library shows it is on my iMac disk. Nolonger holding down option, I go to time machine and select "Enter time machine". Time machine shows the iMac disk. If I hold down option as I click time machine, I can select "Browse other backup disks..." and select the time machine backups, but I do not see the library folder.

• rudy
    edited April 2017

@ChrisDeibel,

It sounds like you possibly don't have a backup of your Library folder, but you can confirm that by opening Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities and typing cd followed by a space into the window and then dragging the chrisdeibel folder into the Terminal window. Hit return at this point and the terminal session should have you in that particular directory. Type ls followed by a return and see if it lists Library in the list of folders it sees in your backup's home directory. My guess is that its probably not there.

Rudy

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

I think I found it; now what do I do with it?
    Firmins-iMac:1Password 4 firminc.deibeljr$ pwd
    /Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Backups.backupdb/Chris Deibel’s Computer/2017-04-06-123312/Macintosh HD/Users/chrisdeibel/Library/Application Support/1Password 4
    Firmins-iMac:1Password 4 firminc.deibeljr$ ls
    Backups Data License Mustaches-001 Watchtower b5PendingFileUpload

In Backups are many files, the most recent 1Password 2017-04-05 11_51_30 (1 profiles, 150 items, 0 folders, 2 attachments).1p4_zip

What should I do now to get 1Password working again with its data?
    Thanks.

• Hi @ChrisDeibel ,

It looks like you've found the backups. Here's how to restore it:

1. Copy that most recent backup file to your desktop.
    2. Now start the 1Password app, and choose Restore… from the File menu.
    3. You'll see the Backup preferences. Click Find Backup
    4. Open the backup file you copied to your desktop. It should then restore and quit. The next time you launch 1Password, it will be restored. Just enter your Master Password and you'll be back in business.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

How do I copy the backup to my desktop? Neither Time Machine nor Finder see the Library or anything within it; only using those Unix commands can I see it. I haven't used unix for over 25 years and need help with this, especially with the Mac interface. Some arguments to the cp command? Thanks.

• rudy
    edited April 2017

@ChrisDeibel,

If you're still in that backups directory you can cp "1Password 2017-04-05 11_51_30 (1 profiles, 150 items, 0 folders, 2 attachments).1p4_zip" ~/Desktop and it should put that file onto the desktop.

Alternatively you can open . and it should open a Finder window pointed at the Backups directory and then you can drag the .zip anywhere you'd like to make it convenient to access via the Find Backup button that @ag_kevin mentioned.

Rudy

• ChrisDeibel
    ChrisDeibel
    Community Member

THANK YOU!!! This worked wonderfully. cp ti ~.Desktop instead put it in the Documents directory, but it worked! The Alternative open . method worked fine too.
    Aside: Just curious: Where can I find instructions about the Alternative option, and also being able to drag a folder into the terminal window? man pages? magic!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

THANK YOU!!! This worked wonderfully. cp ti ~.Desktop instead put it in the Documents directory, but it worked! The Alternative open . method worked fine too.

@ChrisDeibel: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Rudy and Kevin, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

Aside: Just curious: Where can I find instructions about the Alternative option, and also being able to drag a folder into the terminal window? man pages? magic!

Are you referring to what Rudy said here?

Alternatively you can open . and it should open a Finder window pointed at the Backups directory and then you can drag the .zip anywhere you'd like to make it convenient to access via the Find Backup button that @ag_kevin mentioned.

He just means typing open . into the Terminal window when you're viewing your backups, since the open command will open a Finder window, and the . refers to the current folder without having to type the whole path (.. is one level up). Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.