How do I connect 1Password6 to my existing license?

dgillman
dgillman
Community Member

I have been running 1Password6 on three machines for some time. Today it failed to run on one machine. The error message from the unix shell is below. I uninstalled it (dragged the icon to Trash) and installed it from the App Store.

Now it says I have a read-only version and need to buy it. In the past when I installed 1Password6 on a new machine I just had to show the software my license and it was happy that I had a paid version. This time I can't find an "import license" menu option. The Purchase option takes me straight to the Apple Store.

I guess I'll uninstall the App Store version and download it from AgileBits. See if that one wants my license.

Error message:

2017-04-09 21:34:47.011 1Password 6[639:14367] 653000 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fd9ffea30a0):] E handleXPCError: | Problem talking to the helper: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper was invalidated.}

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password6 thinks I need to buy it, but I have a license

Comments

• dgillman
    dgillman
    Community Member

Hmm, downloading from agilebits.com seems to have done the trick.

Hey, this wasn't so easy. We users aren't downloading the software everyday. Maybe you could do a better job communicating with users about the difference between the versions of the software.

OK, anyway, there's your error message. Consider this a bug report.

• Hey @dgillman! Sorry about the mixup there. Your license is for the website version of the app, and since the App Store is a separate system from ours, it can't be applied to that copy of the app. There's simply no way for us to allow the license to be added to the Mac App Store version since that would be against the App Store policy. However, I think it'd be a great idea to give a little message when the license link is opened and the Mac App Store version is installed. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.