Suggestion: Cryptocurrency category

jclarkv
jclarkv
Community Member

I love the categories in 1Password. Choosing the right category for a new entry basically prompts the user to enter stuff that may be needed in the future. For example, if I add a new bank account the fields provided are banks name, account type, routing number, account number, SWIFT, IBAN, PIN, etc.

Although someone with a cryptocurrency wallet can certainly use a password item or secure note item to store their important details, they would not have the benefit of having some good guidelines on what they need to store.

What I envision is a new category for 'Cryptocurrency Wallets' (or something like that) that would ask for the following:

Wallet Address
Cryptocurrency type (e.g BTC, ETH, MKR, DASH, etc)
Private Key
Keystore file (encrypted) attachment
JSON file (unencrypted) attachment
Recovery Phrase
Location (e.g. exchange, hardware wallet, software wallet, etc).

I thought I'd write since I'm figuring this out for myself right now. An additional benefit would be for my spouse, for example, if I weren't around for having all the info in one place.

Thanks for reading.

Clark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jclarkv,

Thanks for the feedback. We're currently testing custom categories with our 1Password.com Teams users that have Pro Plans to see what pitfalls there are to user managed item categories, so this is certainly something to keep an eye out for in the release notes.

Rudy

• ClausA
    ClausA
    Community Member

Hi Rudy

How is it going with the creation of a category for cryptocurrency wallets? I think this sounds like a great feature :-)

Best regards

Claus

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ClausA - there are two ways to address a category for cryptocurrency (or anything else, for that matter). The first is by creating a new, static, built-in category. The second is what Rudy was describing up above: working towards a framework for user-definable custom categories. That's what we're currently focused on. This feature would be rolling out in 1Password Teams' Pro plan first (in fact, is already doing so in beta), but may very well expand to other iterations of 1Password accounts. I doubt you will see a dedicated category for cryptocurrency built into the 1Password binaries themselves, so as Rudy said above, keep an eye out for the release notes in future versions of 1Password accounts regarding custom categories - and thanks for the question!

This discussion has been closed.