Can I "backward" sync from my 1PW account to my desktop Mac and/or iPhone?

Wingchair
Wingchair
Community Member

I've been dyed-in-wool fan of 1PW forever, and it has been error free the whole time. Last week I updated my iMac's OS, which required new logins to access several network-related functions. I had all the date recorded in 1PW, but the OS update also required me to resync 1PW and I made the mistake of using an out of date database on Dropbox rather than the newer one online with my 1Password account. To get back the missing records, I restored the most recent iMac-based backup, which removed even more items, and that propagated to my iPhone and iPad the next time they sync-ed. The online database for my 1PW family account is complete, but I can't figure out how to use it as the "master" account in order to sync backward to my OS X and iOS devices.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:Can I "backward" sync from my 1PW account to my desktop Mac and/or iPhone?

Comments

• @wingchair,

The way you're describing your data situation makes me think that you have standalone vaults floating around in addition to your Personal/Shared vaults with your 1Password.com Family account.

If you've logged into your 1Password.com account via a web browser and verified that all your correct information is there then you could reset each of your devices (iOS: settings -> advanced -> erase all 1password data, Mac: help -> troubleshooting -> reset all 1Password data) and then sign back into your account on each of those devices and it should do what you're talking about.

Definitely let us know if this isn't the situation you find yourself in and we can work with you to get you back into a stable configuration.

Rudy

• Wingchair
    Wingchair
    Community Member

Thanks, Rudy! I'll let you know what happens. Brian

• Wingchair
    Wingchair
    Community Member

Hi Rudy, Half-way there. The iOS reset worked fine and my iPhone is now current, but my iMac isn't cooperating. When I use the Help dropdown to Troubleshooting, the "Reset all 1Password data" option is grayed out. I tried quitting and restarting 1PW, but it made no difference. Is there a workaround? Thanks.

• @wingchair,

Indeed, If you lock 1Password that menu item will then be enabled.

Rudy

• Wingchair
    Wingchair
    Community Member

That worked beautifully, but I didn't take one thing into account: neither my Secure Notes nor software-purchase db were included in my online account, so both sets of records now are lost. They are in my backups, but I don't know how—or if it's even possible—to import them into the new version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wingchair: It's a bit roundabout, but if you have backups you can restore them temporarily and copy the data over. Please do the following:

1. Enable local vaults in 1Password Preferences > Advanced so that you have a Primary vault to restore to
    2. Restore your backup (File > Restore) — note: this only applies to local vaults; 1Password.com is completely separate
    3. Copy your data from your local vault to your 1Password.com account — verify that you see it when you login to the website
    4. Disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced to avoid further vault/account confusion

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.