1Password is in "read only" mode and wants me to buy a license.

wrwing
wrwing
Community Member

Title pretty much says it all. 1Password suddenly announced that it was in "Read only" mode and wants me to buy a license. What's happened?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password suddenly announced it was in "read only" mode and wants me to buy a license.

Comments

• @wrwing,

Had you previously purchased a license directly from us?

Rudy

• wrwing
    wrwing
    Community Member

I bought one copy from the Apple App Store and one (earlier) from you guys. I'm on my iPad now, so can't be sure, but I think the one acting up is the one from the App Store.

• @wrwing Did the App Store purchase happen to be the 1Password for iOS app? If so, that doesn't include the Mac app, and your license would be what you need to use the Mac app. To use the license, you need to install 1Password from our website, then request and apply your license and you'll be all set :)

• wrwing
    wrwing
    Community Member

No, it wasn't the iOS version, it is on my laptop and was running just fine. I suspect, but can't prove, that the anomalous behavior has only appeared since I applied the latest security update two days ago.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

@wrwing: Double check your records to see where you purchased it then. "Read Only" mode is only shown in the Mac App Store version, and only if you didn't purchase the app there — if, for example, you purchased it directly from AgileBits. You'll have an email receipt regardless of where you bought it, and then all you need to do is install it from there. Just keep in mind that the app will still show as "purchased" in the App Store itself even if you got the free version. Let me know what you find! :)

• wrwing
    wrwing
    Community Member

Ok, the good news is that 1password has started working again without my doing ANYTHING (didn't even reboot). BUT, that is also the bad news, because it means there is a path in there somewhere (possibly associated with the security update) that leads to this behavior. I know how hard that sort of thing is to debug!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, even if it continues to work for you without issue, that's a bit frustrating in principle. But no matter what, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.