Request to improve the one-time password UI

Options
MDBrown
MDBrown
Community Member

I love the fact that I can use 1PW as my one-time password authenticator, but the user interface is not user friendly. I'd like to make a few suggestions for improvement.

Another user already requested that the TOTP be included in the "slide to reveal" bar. That would be the best solution, but it might be technically difficult. Short of doing that, please consider the following:

First, move the TOTP field into the block that shows username and password. This simple layout change will ensure the TOTP is always visible as soon as you open the item. For any website that uses TOTP, the 1PW TOTP field has to be accessed almost as often as username and password. Moving it would shorten the whole process.

2nd, it takes way too many steps to retrieve the TOTP via the sharesheet.

1. Hit the sharesheet icon
  2. Press the circled i to open the item
  3. (Here I usually wait until the clock resets so I have time before the TOTP expires)
  4. Copy the TOTP
  5. Press the BACK arrow
  6. Press CANCEL

This brings me back to my website where I rush to paste the TOTP before it expires. Too many steps.

For regular logins, I just have to touch the item name when the sharesheet displays the matching 1PW item, and that automatically closes the sharesheet and fills in the username and password. This even works when the website displays username and password fields on separate pages. 1PW recognizes the different fields. I realize the TOTP is really just a password field, but it should be possible to recognize that it's a "second" password, and fill in the field appropriately and automatically.

If autofill can't be done, please put a CANCEL or CLOSE button at the top of the item layout, to close the 1PW popup and take me straight back to my website. This would essentially eliminate step 5 above.

Thanks. I couldn't live without 1Password...but I could live with a few enhancements!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MDBrown: I agree with you 100%, and I know I'm not the only one. I can't say when we'll be able to do something in this area, but we definitely want to make it easier to access data quickly in 1Password, TOTP code and otherwise. Thanks so much for your feedback on this!

• ezaritov
    ezaritov
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I support this request - I even created today the similar one, see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77702/usability-simplify-filing-in-one-time-password#latest
    It is inconvenient to fill in one-time passwords in login forms.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ezaritov: It's not something we're working on right now, and I'm not sure what form it might take, but definitely something we want to make easier on iOS. The other discussion is only peripherally related since macOS is a very different platform, so we can continue that as a separate conversation. Thanks for the feedback! :)

ref: OPI-3926

This discussion has been closed.