Cant backup

josch
josch
Community Member

I am now using 1Password 6.6.4 on a Mac. In Library>Application support>1Password I now have a folder for 1Password 4 and one for v. 6
I have trashed the v. 4 folder multiple times. When I try to do a backup it cant find the folder. When I select the 6 folder with my backups in it, I can restore from the latest backup. But when I try to Backup now I get the message in the attached file and a 1Password folder 4 is back again in my application support folder and is empty. I can use 1Password ok. how do I permanently get rid of the ""4" folder and enable Backup now without getting the error message?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
OS Version: OS 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• josch
    josch
    Community Member

Me again, I quit iPass mini, Then could not open iPassword. So I restored from the backup in backup folder for v. 6. Now, I can do backups, but again, then are showing up in the folder marked 1Password 4>Backups. I still have all the older backups in the folder 1Password 6>Backups. I may have started on the down highway by changing the name of folder 1Password 4 to 1Password 6. Am I forever doomed to have my backups in folder 1Password 4 in Library>Application support>1Password 4>Backups

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I may have started on the down highway by changing the name of folder 1Password 4 to 1Password 6.

@josch: I think this is it exactly.

Am I forever doomed to have my backups in folder 1Password 4 in Library>Application support>1Password 4>Backups

I'm not sure I'd use the word "doomed" to describe automatic backups, but it's worth mentioning that ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ contains the support files for all recent versions of 1Password for Mac. Please don't mess around with this unless you already have your data backed up on another device (and preferably offsite), as it contains your data and we can't recover it for you if you destroy it.

• josch
    josch
    Community Member

Now what do I do? I have in Application Support>1 Password both a v.4 folder and a v.6 folder. The older backups are in the v.6 folder ALONG WITH THE LICENSE. All the newest backups (since I started screwing around) are back in the v. 4 folder. Should I slide the license into the v.4 folder. Should I trash the older backups in the v.6 folder since I no longer need them or trash the v. 6 folder? And why when you update, doesn't it update the folder with the backup to the newer version label? Or should I just let sleeping dogs lie with both a v.4 folder and a v.6 folder?

• josch
    josch
    Community Member

see the attached pictures of what I have that I forgot to put into the above post

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@josch: We didn't change the folder name because 1Password 5 and 6 were both free upgrades from version 4, and there just wasn't any good reason to migrate the data and potentially cause issues for people.

If you have all of your data in the app already, you can trash the "1Password 6" folder. 1Password can't use this, so it's just taking up space. I've resent your license information via email, so just follow the instructions there if you need to register it again. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.