Switching accounts

Khood1000
Khood1000
Community Member

I have just set up 1password for Families.

I wanted to adopt a model where I have a single account for admin and all other accounts would just be normal users. My thought was that I could just sign on to the Admin account as needed.

1. So I created 3 accounts in total, 1 with admin rights in 1Password.com.
  2. I created 3 separate sign ons, complete with their respective email addresses and secret codes in the native 1Password application.

If I sign on to any of the 3 accounts using the 1Password application, then attempt to sign on to either of the other two accounts using 1Password after the fact, I end up using the exact same sign on criteria as the first account, resulting in my signing into the save account over and over again. The only way to overcome this that I have found is to select switch accounts and manually enter the information. I have tried to delete cookies and history in Safari and nothing has made a difference. Is this something that is just not possible to do? Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Switching accounts

Comments

• Hi @Khood1000

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm trying to understand the situation you're running into here, but I'm not entirely sure that I follow. One bit I didn't understand is this comment:

I end up using the exact same sign on criteria as the first account,

Why? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but obviously if you enter the credentials for Account A then you're going to be logged into Account A, not Account B. ;) If you want to login to Account B then you'll need to enter Account B's credentials.

Also you don't need to add the "admin" account to the 1Password app (other than perhaps as a Login item if you want 1Password to fill those credentials for you). 1Password does not, currently, fill Secret Keys for 1Password.com account logins though, so you'd need to copy & paste that information.

Please let me know.

Ben

• Khood1000
    Khood1000
    Community Member

Hello, thank you for getting back with me.

To answer your question concerning "sign on credentials", what I mean by this is that the sign own panel will contain the same User email address and Secret code from the last successful sign on regardless of what I provide from the 1Pass native application.

You may have answered my question, "1Password does not, currently, fill Secret Keys for 1Password.com account logins." I would expand this a little further and say that, "1Password does not, currently, fill Secret Keys or User information for 1Password.com account logins."

This is too bad. It would be very handy to have the ability to setup a sign on for other family accounts so should the need arise, one could easily sign in to that account. In the case of my wife and I, if by chance one has setup or changed a sign on and has not communicated it to the other, we could sign on to the other's account to obtain the information. Initially I had thought it was possible to get to anyone's Private vault if you had Amin privileges, this does not seem to be the case from what I can tell. So my next solution was to seek a way to sign on without needing to dig out the Secret code and manually type it in each time. From what you were saying in your response this is not possible.

Kim

• Hi Kim,

is that the sign own panel will contain the same User email address and Secret code from the last successful sign on regardless of what I provide from the 1Pass native application.

If you check the "This is a public or shared computer" box those details will not be remembered by your browser.

I would expand this a little further and say that, "1Password does not, currently, fill Secret Keys or User information for 1Password.com account logins."

It can fill the email address and Master Password.

Initially I had thought it was possible to get to anyone's Private vault if you had Amin privileges, this does not seem to be the case from what I can tell.

Correct. Nobody has access to anyone else's Personal vault.

So my next solution was to seek a way to sign on without needing to dig out the Secret code and manually type it in each time. From what you were saying in your response this is not possible.

For the website the best bet is to copy & paste the Secret Key from your login item. Hopefully that is something we can address in the future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.