1Password mini - Read only mode [Workaround: open main 1Password app once before opening mini]

valermit
valermit
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Hello. I have the following issue: the 1Password mini shows a message in red font on top of its window saying "Read only mode. Click here to buy." and does not insert login information automatically or using combination of the "command \" keys despite the fact that I have paid a subscription and it is active now. ( I am using MacBook Pro with Mac OS Sierra and tried to use 1Password mini in Safari and Chrome. The 1Password app works fine though).

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X Sierra
Sync Type: my1password

Comments

• Hi @valermit

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Could you please verify that you are signed into your 1Password account in 1Password for Mac by selecting 1Password > Preferences > Accounts?

If you are not, then you'll want to sign in and remove your standalone vaults after verifying all of your data exists in your account (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck allow vaults to be created outside 1Password accounts).

Thanks.

Ben

• valermit
    valermit
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Hello Ben,
    Thanks for quick response. Yes, I signed in to 1Password account in my 1Password. It looks like I can only use 1Password mini when I run 1Password app on my Mac first. If I try to run 1Password mini first (before launch 1Password app) it shows that message.

• Thanks @valermit. We are aware of a bug in 1Password for Mac where in some cases the main 1Password app must be launched in order to have the mini recognize that it is licensed. We hope to have this fixed up soon.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Ben

ref: OPM-4984

• valermit
    valermit
    Community Member

Thanks Ben.

• You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• mrleeio
    mrleeio
    Community Member

I too am experiencing this exact issue. The release notes for the latest Mac App Store version mentions a fix for this but it still occurs.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mrleeio,

Do you mean that 1Password mini says it's in read only mode when the main 1Password app is closed, but not when the main 1Password app is open and unlocked? If so, can you please double-check which version is currently installed? Just go to Applications and double-click the 1Password app, then go to 1Password > About 1Password from the menu bar. What version is shown there?

• mrleeio
    mrleeio
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I can't seem to reproduce the problem.

Occasionally the browser extensions & 1password mini enters read only mode, opening the main app seems to fix it.

I just restarted my machine expecting read only mode to appear yet again but it appears to be fine.

I own a 1password teams subscription if that helps.

1Password
    Version 6.7 (670008)
    Mac App Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @mrleeio. Version 6.7 includes the fix for this, so hopefully the reason it's no longer happening is because you installed the update. But if for some reason it happens again, please let us know and we'll take a closer look into it. :)

This discussion has been closed.