How do I get it to sync back with my Dropbox vault?

rongstad
rongstad
Community Member

I got a popup that said an issue was found. I clicked on "Fix..." and it brought me to the sync preferences pane. I find the file in my DropBox account and it asks for a Vault password - is that my Master Password? It seems to take my master password, but then it just comes up and says "never synced". I can still get to my vault on my iPhone.
I wasn't even using 1Password, I just suddenly got the "1Passwork Sync Problem detected, Update preferences"

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:The primary vault on my Mac 1Password 6.6.4 is gone.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rongstad,

Thanks for reaching out to ask us about this! There are a few reasons why sync with Dropbox might have become disabled - for example, if the sync file in Dropbox is moved to a different location or cannot be found for some reason. I don't know if that helps to explain why this happened in your case, but it sounds like you took the correct steps to fix that by re-enabling sync with Dropbox and choosing your sync file.

I find the file in my DropBox account and it asks for a Vault password - is that my Master Password?

Yes - the sync file in Dropbox is a copy of the vault it syncs with in 1Password on your Mac (and on your iPhone), so it's associated with the same master password. Assuming that's your Primary vault (or if you only have one vault in 1Password), it's the same as the master password you use to unlock the app.

It seems to take my master password, but then it just comes up and says "never synced".

It might be normal to see that at first, but once the sync has completed, it should show you how long ago it last synced. Do you see "Last synced" now, or does it still show "never synced"?

• rongstad
    rongstad
    Community Member

I had to go to a meeting and when I came back, the 1Password icon in the title bar was gone. I found the app in finder and double clicked and it came up with a "welcome to 1Password" window like I had never run it. I selected "sync with DropBox" and it sync'd up fine and all is well. I'm not sure what happened. I have used 1Password for years - I think from version 1 - and I've never seen this before. I guess no harm, no foul. All is well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rongstad,

I'm glad to hear it's working now, but 1Password shouldn't have acted like you had never used it before. If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you happen to have multiple 1Password apps in there? For example, if you have both the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) and the AgileBits Store version (1Password 6.app) installed at the same time, that would explain what happened, because they each keep a separate database on your Mac. In other words, the version you were previously using is the one that showed all your data, and you may have also downloaded the other version which wouldn't have any data and would show the 'Welcome' screen the first time you opened it.

If you do have both versions on your Mac, that could end up causing some confusion. Let us know, and we'll help you remove one and keep the other.

• rongstad
    rongstad
    Community Member

I just checked and I did have two versions on my hard drive, but the old one is version 3.8 and it was version 6 that came up as brand new. I have deleted the 1Password.app file from my hard drive. Thanks for you help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad it's all straightened out now! Thanks for letting us know what you found in the Applications folder. Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.