I have an iMac running El Capitan and want to know if 1Password is compatible with Mac's Keychain?

bwaldron
bwaldron
Community Member

Shall I disable Keychain. it keeps asking if I want to save the password generated in 1password. Should I agree?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: Mac OS 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can Mac's Keychain utility work in conjunction with 1Password?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwaldron,

Thanks for your questions!

I have an iMac running El Capitan and want to know if 1Password is compatible with Mac's Keychain?

It really depends on what you mean by "compatible". Your Mac's Keychain and 1Password are very different apps with many different features for different purposes, although some of those features overlap (such as saving/filling passwords on websites). Certainly a password created in one can be saved in the other, but I'm not sure if that's the type of compatibility you're asking about.

Shall I disable Keychain.

You shouldn't completely disable the Keychain on your Mac, because it's the part of the operating system that automatically keeps track of Wi-Fi access points, Certificates, Keys, and other things that happen in the background that you would typically expect the OS to take care of. However, you might want to disable Safari's built-in password manager and autofill feature, because that's what you'll be using 1Password for instead. Which leads to the rest of your question:

it keeps asking if I want to save the password generated in 1password. Should I agree?

If I understand, it sounds like you create a new password using a built-in feature of Safari, and when you submit the form, 1Password asks if you want to save a new Login. If so, you should go ahead and agree to save it in 1Password. Then, to avoid confusion, you should disable Safari's built-in password manager by following the steps here: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• bwaldron
    bwaldron
    Community Member

Thank you very much. Your answers address my concerns perfectly. I appreciate the link to turn off the built-inpass word manager in my browser.. Thanks Bev

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm glad that was helpful! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.