1Password not upgrading

davegriffin
davegriffin
Community Member

I recently noticed that I was having synching problems between two Macs. Much to my surprise I discovered that 1Password on one of my Macs was at 6.6.4, but the other was at Version 6.3.3. Both 1Password and the Mac App Store seem to be happy with this situation and I can't find any way to upgrade the wayward version. Should I just remove and reinstall? (I don't think it matters but the older version is running on El Capitan, and the newer one is on Sierra... I didn't see any dependencies listed in that area.)

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davegriffin,

You mentioned the Mac App Store, but is it possible you actually have the AgileBits Store version of 1Password installed? On the Mac with version 6.3.3, please open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > About 1Password from the menu bar. The window that opens will tell you if it's the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version.

If you're using the AgileBits Store version, you'll need to manually install the latest version. To do that, download it from our download site, open the downloaded .pkg installer, and follow the on-screen instructions. Once you've gone through the installation, you'll need to reboot your Mac. After it restarts, try opening the new 1Password 6.app file from the Applications folder.

On the other hand, if you're using the Mac App Store version, please launch the Mac App Store on the Mac with version 6.3.3 installed, click the Purchased tab at the top, and look for 1Password in the list of apps there. If you find it, what does the button to the right of it say? And if you click on the Updates tab at the top, do you see an update for 1Password listed there?

• davegriffin
    davegriffin
    Community Member

Both are from the Mac App Store. On the Mac with 6.6.3 installed the App Store purchased list says "Open". There are no updates pending for 1Password. (Hence my comment that everyone seemed to be happy with the status quo despite being way behind...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Both are from the Mac App Store. On the Mac with 6.6.3 installed the App Store purchased list says "Open". There are no updates pending for 1Password. (Hence my comment that everyone seemed to be happy with the status quo despite being way behind...)

@davegriffin: I'm 95% certain that that's because you've installed 1Password from the AgileBits website. The Mac App Store will see that 1Password is installed but it understandably can't update it unless it is the correct version. So it will only give you the option to open the app, even though it is an old version. You can easily confirm this by opening the app and selecting "About 1Password" from the "1Password" (or, more likely, "1Password 6") menu. If you do in fact have the AgileBits website version installed, just download the latest version and install it:

1Password downloads

If you have an old version, it may not be able to update automatically due to a certificate change. I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out!

• davegriffin
    davegriffin
    Community Member

And while that might be true (I've been using it for a while) I'm 100% certain that it says Mac App Store:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davegriffin: Haha right you are! The only other possibilities are that you installed the app using a different Apple ID than the one you're logged into currently, or that the app itself is simply damaged and the App Store doesn't recognize it as a result. In either case, please drag the app to the Trash (don't use a "cleaner" app, as that might delete your data as well!), restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy from the Mac App Store and you'll have the latest version. :)

• davegriffin
    davegriffin
    Community Member

Thank you. I have a feeling it was the Mac App Store's fault. After restarting a bunch of app updates appeared in the queue. I reinstalled 1Password and it is now at the proper version. I still have my synchronization issue, but that's for me to start hunting down in your forums before asking for help (one Mac is synching to 1Password.opvault and the other is using 1Password.agilekeychain)... The version issue is closed. Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @davegriffin, I'm glad the Mac App Store finally started showing you the available updates for some of your apps! It's strange that it wasn't showing them before, but rebooting often takes care of odd issues.

I hope you're able to figure out the sync problem, but if you need help with that, please feel free to open a new thread. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.