Constantly downloading new software

lithigin
lithigin
Community Member

On one of my computers, 1Password fails on at least a weekly basis. The Chrome extension isn't connecting to the app or the Mini thing isn't working or I have to re-download the app (and restart). It's supremely irritating. You know when is the least convenient time for me to restart to install your app? When I'm trying to enter CC or other critical login information for customers.

The other challenge is that every single time I have downloaded a 1Password version (on 3 machines, two different users), it cannot be opened for several hours. I get the "Verifying" popup that hangs as long as I let it stay there. If I try a half day or more after downloading, then it installs at a regular speed.

I've been paying for this software for months but have yet to actually generate any new passwords because on my main machine the only thing that is keeping me going is my memorized passwords and the ones that Chrome still knows about! Yes, the irony. But mostly the agony.

Is there a trick here?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lithigin,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with 1Password! It sounds like many of the problems have been happening when re-downloading/reinstalling the 1Password app. Although I don't know why those particular problems are happening, you really shouldn't need to repeatedly download and install 1Password on that same Mac. The fact that you keep running into the same issues with 1Password in Chrome implies that the 1Password app itself is fine, and that something else is causing it to fail to work properly.

If I understand, the main issue is that 1Password isn't working correctly in Chrome. Can you please elaborate on exactly what happens? What steps do you normally take to use the 1Password extension in Chrome, and what happens when it fails? Do you see any error messages? If so, what do they say? If possible, it would be helpful if you could take a screenshot of any errors you see (just make sure no personal/private information is shown in a screenshot). When replying, you can drag the screenshot into your message, or click the "Attach image" button above the comment field and select the file.

It will also help if you can let us know a few more details about your setup:

• What version of Chrome are you using?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Do you use a 1Password.com account? If not, do you use one of the other sync options in 1Password (Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN Server)?
    • Do you use any antivirus, firewall, proxy, or other security software/browser extensions on your Mac?
    • When you have trouble using the browser extension, are you still able to open and use the main 1Password app?
    • When the extension isn't working, do you see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar?

Thanks in advance! :)

• lithigin
    lithigin
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

I restarted my machine and went to use 1P in Chrome and get the webpage with attached screen shot.

I open the 1Password program and get popup:

1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini
    Please restart 1Password. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support.

I use Chrome Version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)

I have a 1Password account and no firewall or security things are different on this machine than on my laptop. On the laptop I use the same Chrome login, same Chrome version.

Next step will be to uninstall extension, per your FAQ.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lithigin: I'd update Chrome first. A common issue we see there is that when an update is pending it can break 1Password and some other extensions. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.