how to create a csv file without the app crashing

voodoo730
voodoo730
Community Member

when i try to create a export file i open file and select all and the app crashes without going on when i try to export with selected item the app crashes when i try to switch backup from icloud to dropbox the app freezes. all i am trying to do is create a csv file on my macbook pro running sierra in a folder that i can import into another device as a backup

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: safari , chrome , firefox newest
OS Version: os x 10.12.4
Sync Type: any
Referrer: forum-search:creating a csv file but the app crashes when i hit export either all or selected

Comments

• Hi @voodoo730,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

Could you please elaborate for me what exactly it is that you're trying to accomplish? If you're just trying to create a backup please see this guide:

1Password backups - 1Password Support

Thanks!

Ben

• voodoo730
    voodoo730
    Community Member

i am trying to create a csv file to put on another device, a passfort, in order to do this i need to create a csv file.i tried to export to a new file but the 1password app crashed then i tried to create a backup dropbox so that i could download and convert but when i switched from iCloud backup to dropbox the 1password app froze, i attempted several times, with restart, reboot closing dropbox etc..I followed all of the direction on how to export on the website select 1, select your vault, select all, do not select all, and still the app either crashes or freezes.

• @voodoo730,

What platform is this crash happening on? I ask as you posted this in our iOS forum, but 1Password for iOS does not have a CSV export (or any other export) capability. If you could please let me know I'll get this over to the appropriate folks.

Ben

• voodoo730
    voodoo730
    Community Member

on mac sierra, and under file you get the import export option

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

Hi @voodoo730,

Thank you for clarifying - since this is happening on your Mac, I've moved your forum discussion to our Mac forum.

It sounds like the 1Password app is crashing and or freezing when you try to export to a CSV file, but I'm a little confused about the steps you're taking to do that - you've mentioned exporting to CSV, creating a backup file, and syncing with Dropbox/iCloud, but those are all very different features. If you need to copy your data from 1Password to another password manager, you'll need to use the Export feature in 1Password to create a CSV file (assuming the other app can import a CSV file, of course).

If you're trying to export all the items in your vault, you don't need to select them. Just open 1Password and go to File > Export > All Items, enter your master password when prompted, then choose a location and select the CSV format (and click Save). If you try those exact steps, what happens? If it crashes, at what exact point does it do that?

Also, am I understanding correctly that you're trying to import this data into a different app? In your first post, you mentioned you just need to backup your 1Password data on another device, but you don't need to use another app to do that. If you want to access your 1Password data on another device, you can install the 1Password app on that device and use one of the sync options described here: Sync your 1Password data

If you're using a 1Password.com account, your data is automatically backed up on our servers so you don't need to create your own backup. All you need to do is sign into your account in 1Password on another device, and your data will sync there.

If you're not using a 1Password.com account, the 1Password app automatically creates local backups of your data, and if you'd like to copy those backups somewhere else, you can do that by following these steps:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup.
    • Click the Show Files button to open the 1Password backups folder on your Mac.
    • Copy those backup files (or at least the most recent one) to another location.

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have questions about that. Cheers! :)

ref: BDC-96649-851

This discussion has been closed.