Fix for 1pw hiding from Spotlight

sknaffla
sknaffla
Community Member

Somehow after the last 1pw update ~ Spotlight no longer will find 1pw.
I.E.: I hit -Space and usually type "1" and 1pw is the first hit.

Now it never finds 1pw. Every other app is fine. I tried excluding the apps directory, and they re-including it.
I can launch from the launcher bar at the bottom, and 1pw runs completely normal in every other way.

I just have gotten into the habit of -space-1 and hitting enter, to bring it up; even when it's up (I avoid the -tab to look for it).

Any advice ? Would love to get 1pw back in spotlight ...

~Scott

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Cloud/Dropbox

Comments

• coschdesign
    coschdesign
    Community Member

I have exactly the same anoying problem! Any fix??
    Martin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sknaffla and @coschdesign,

You might find some helpful information about this in another recent forum discussion: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77526/spotlight-does-not-find-the-mac-app-when-i-search

As Brenty explained there, Spotlight indexing is a function of the OS and we don't have control over that, so there's not much we can do if it isn't working as expected. You can try rebooting your Mac to see if that helps. If not, you might want to try rebuilding the Spotlight index by following these steps on Apple's support site: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Other customers have confirmed that seems to solve the problem, so hopefully it works for you as well. Let us know how it goes! :)

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member

Drew: Thanks for the pointer. I tried unclicking on the App Dir, and reclicking it, which did not do it.
    But your link to add to exclusions, and remove from there, worked.

Thank you !

Wonder what happened in 6.6.4 that caused this, looks like I was not the only one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @sknaffla! I'm glad adding to / removing from the exclusion list solved the problem, thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

Wonder what happened in 6.6.4 that caused this, looks like I was not the only one.

There really shouldn't be anything about any 1Password update that could cause this to happen - as I mentioned above, we don't have control over the Spotlight indexing feature of the operating system. But you're right, it's strange that a few other customers reported the same thing. Still, my guess is that there was a glitch in the Spotlight indexing which was triggered under a very specific set of circumstances, and that the same thing could potentially happen with other apps as well. But if the same thing happens after a future 1Password update, please let us know so we can take a further look into things. Cheers! :)

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member

FYI ~ 1pw updated this morning, and same issue.

Same fix worked: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

So all good again, but might want to look into why this has happened the last 2 updates.
    I am running 6.7 now.

• I can't think of anything we've changed that would have broken this from our end.

Rick

• twid
    twid
    Community Member

I am having this same problem, also with the last two updates.

Every other app is fine, but 1Password goes missing from spotlight after it updates. Removing it from spotlight and adding it back fixes the issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! This actually happens to me anytime I update any app, but usually just lasts a few minutes until Spotlight updates its index. Glad to hear that you were able to give it a bit of a kick in your case though. Cheers! :)

• tijshelpt
    tijshelpt
    Community Member

Hi,
    I also experience this bug recently. I suspect since the May 1st update. 1Password was the only app affected by this bug. Links in post above did not help me. Terminal command described in this link did (after restart).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! Unless you updated other apps at the same time, it's not surprising that you wouldn't have a similar problem there. Spotlight won't need to update its index unless something changes. Anyway, I'm glad the Terminal command helped you clear that up. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.