[Feature Request] Feature Parity across all devices and interfaces.

timl2k8
timl2k8
Community Member

I love 1password, but there is one are of major room for improvement: feature parity across devices. E.g. you cannot sort by or even display modified date or creation date on iOS. On the windows version you can copy items but not move them. On iOS you can select which vaults display when you select "All Vaults" but not on Windows or the web interface. I know there are plenty of other examples I've run into. In my opinion the best apps have feature parity across all devices and interfaces. The Spark email app is a good example of this (they don't have web, Android nor windows apps to deal with though).

1Password Version: all
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: all
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• Hi @timl2k8,

Feature parity, where possible, is certainly something we're working toward. Obviously there are cases where it isn't possible/practical (e.x. fingerprint support on Windows is not likely until there is a more robust offering there). But in general we'd love to be able to offer the same functionality regardless of platform. As you've pointed out, we have a ways to go in this department, and it isn't something that is going to be completed in the short term. It is something that will continue to improve over time.

Thanks!

Ben

• Chowardart
    Chowardart
    Community Member

Greetings!
    Somebody's reading my mind - sort of...
    I would also chime in here, asking for the dates to be included the iOS version; I've had need for this before and was surprised that it's not there...
    You guys are still the best!...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know, @Chowardart. As Ben said, we're definitely trying to narrow the gap in feature parity between each platform, and I agree it would be nice to see the modified dates and created dates in the iOS version. Hopefully that's something we can add in a future version. :)

• timl2k8
    timl2k8
    Community Member

By the way, in addition to feature parity, consistency across apps is also neat. For example, on Windows (the red headed step-child of the bunch ;) ) you delete an item by clicking "Move to Trash" in the upper left corner. On iOS you scroll down to "Delete ..." at the bottom.

• Hey @timl2k8,

Thanks for the feedback, but that is a different topic. We build our interfaces for the platform they're being run on, and so elements may be in different places. It is unlikely that is going to change. An interface designed for Windows probably wouldn't look very good on iOS.

What we do want, wherever possible, is to make sure the same functions are possible across all of the platforms we support.

Ben

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Hi,
    although I would like to see feature parity as well I'm in doubt it will ever happen especially since the subscription service is AgileBits' preferred way to go.
    Take the much requested "add attachment/take picture on iOS" feature as example. For years it was under consideration. With the introduction of 1Password.com accounts they tell you now to move to their online service in order to get document storage and that this feature will most probably never be implemented in the standalone versions.
    To be clear I don't have a problem with subscription in general. I even pay for some subscription based services/apps and I would happily pay for an 1Password subscription if it would guarantee "real" development of the standalone versions with local/wifi sync. But I will never store my (encrypted) passwords in a cloud service even if I'm confident that AgileBits did all their best to make their service as secure as possible.

Kai

• Hi Kai,

That isn't really the topic at hand here. The topic is feature parity across the various platforms we support... e.x. such that iOS and Android have the same 1Password features available to them.

Regardless, thank you for your feedback. If you're concerned about security I'd suggest taking a look here:

1Password Security Design Whitepaper

In short we've designed our service so that we are not a valuable target. The information that could be stolen from us is of little to no value.

Ben

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Ben Regarding the topic of this thread. Handling of attachments is just another example of feature disparity between supported platforms and thus on topic. I can add attachments on macOS but not on iOS and most probably not on Android as well. Another example would be WiFi sync that is not available on Windows but on iOS and macOS.

My comments about your subscription service might seem to be off topic but at least for me they explain a large part of the feature disparity.

I've read your documents about security, but the main problem - storing password on cloud storage - remains no matter how good the data is encrypted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@viswiz: Indeed, "Feature Parity across all devices and interfaces" is incredibly broad. :lol:

If you've been paying close attention, you may have already noticed that the subscription service has in some ways forced us to prioritize cross-platform consistency. In the past, most folks would buy the app on some devices but not others, and with the differences between platforms, we actually got a lot of requests like "make the Windows app less Mac-like!" and a lot of people really liked some of the platform-specific features/functionality.

But that's definitely been shifting in recent years, and with 1Password.com that's begun to happen even faster, as more and more people just want to pay for "1Password" (not separate apps) and use it everywhere. And it's technically easier in some ways too, since there's a single monolithic "1Password.com format" we can work with (as opposed to multiple legacy formats and variations) which was designed with this purpose in mind. So that's something we're actively working on.

I'm sorry if you won't be a beneficiary of that effort if you've decided that "the cloud" isn't for you for whatever reason, but you'll know from reading the white paper that this isn't a security issue. 1Password.com only has encrypted data, and the keys to decrypt it are only in the possession of the user. If you're comfortable using the standalone 1Password app, this is no different...except that 1Password.com data is more secure because a brute force attack on the Master Password cannot be carried out, as the data is also encrypted using the Secret Key. Again, if you've already done the research, this isn't news to you, but I did want to clarify that for anyone else who might not already be aware of how this works. Cheers! :)

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,
    it's always difficult to develop software for different platforms and trying to keep all features up to date. And it's even more difficult to integrate some platform specific features like e. g. "TouchId" that users might expect but that are very specific for a single platform.

Sometimes it might even be easier to start from scratch. That's what you did (more or less) with your 1Password service.
    I already said that I would like to pay for a 1Password subscription if this would guarantee further development of the standalone versions with some kind of local sync. Integrating a new fault format is something your already did with 1Password an macOS and iOS in the past. It was a rather lengthy process but it finally worked.

I'm pretty sure you did everything in order to make 1Password.com as secure as it could be. In the end it's a matter of trust. You could already have send sensitive Information back to your servers in the past if you wanted to. I'm pretty sure you didn't do this. The very detailed open minded customer dialogue of you makes me believe in your company.

But what about storing business password? I'm not allowed to store company information on third party cloud services. So I would have to split up my vaults into 1Pasword.com vaults and company related vaults with different sync strategies.

• Hi @viswiz,

It is actually possible to have local vaults, which may or may not sync with 3rd party services, even when using a 1Password.com account. Of course you don't get the benefits of 1Password.com for those vaults. It isn't necessarily something I'd recommend doing, or the common usage, but it is possible.

I'm pretty sure you did everything in order to make 1Password.com as secure as it could be. In the end it's a matter of trust.

Certainly there is some information you're trusting with us, but your passwords are not one of those pieces of information. We don't have access to them, ever.

The very detailed open minded customer dialogue of you makes me believe in your company.

Thanks for saying so. :)

But what about storing business password? I'm not allowed to store company information on third party cloud services. So I would have to split up my vaults into 1Pasword.com vaults and company related vaults with different sync strategies.

Yep. I can't change your company's policies, even if they are dated. :tongue:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.