I have a macbook pro with 10.12.4 and want to back up for safety on another device like flash drive

calla3822
calla3822
Community Member

I have two vaults for what reason I don't know (359 items as of now). I have iPad mini and iPhone 6 which have same items. I sync with DropBox. What should I do to have another safe location for my data like a usb stick?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 664001
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I back up my 1Password vault so it is available in case of Problem?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @calla3822,

I'm glad you're taking steps to make sure your data is backed up in multiple places as a precaution - there's no such thing as too many backups! ;)

First, I wanted to mention that if you back up your Mac (using Time Machine, for example), your 1Password data will be included in those backups. If you back up your iOS devices via iCloud or iTunes, those backups should also include your 1Password data. The 1Password for Mac app also automatically makes backups of your local vaults, so you can restore from those if necessary.

If you would also like to manually save 1Password backups to another location like a USB drive, you can follow these steps:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup.
    • Click the Show Files button to open the 1Password backups folder on your Mac.
    • Copy those backup files (or at least the most recent one) to another location.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• calla3822
    calla3822
    Community Member

Excellant. Now follow-up. My wife also has a MacBook Pro and her licenses purchased years ago disappeared and all of her sites are gone. Your team is working on this issue to get her licenses back and 1Password working. Since all of her sites are gone (I think that will be the answer from the team, can I just use a USB backup to load my sites onto her 1Password. I have hundreds of sites but I have many of her old ones like airline information etc. Can I just use my USB and load my sites onto her 1Password and then just delete ones which are of no use to her.

Thanks in advance for your help. Bob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that was helpful for you, @calla3822!

I hope our support team is able to help your wife recover her data! I don't know the circumstances, but I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to help her with that.

But to answer your question, yes: There are actually several different ways to copy 1Password data from your Mac to your wife's Mac, and using a .1p4_zip backup file is certainly one way (copy the backup file to her Mac, and she can use an option in 1Password to restore the data from that backup). Just keep in mind that she would need your master password in order to restore from that backup (that may or may not be a concern for you, but I thought I should mention it). That would also become the master password for 1Password on her Mac, although she can could then change it to her own.

If she only needs certain items from your vault, you could instead export just those items to a .1pif file (select the items in your vault and go to File > Export > Selected Items), copy that file to her Mac, and she can import the items from it (File > Import). She wouldn't need your master password since a .1pif file is unencrypted, and she wouldn't need to delete all the items she doesn't need afterwards. (Because it's unencrypted, you and she should make sure to delete the .1pif file once she's done with it.)

Those are the easiest options to copy items from your vault to hers. If you need help to do that, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• calla3822
    calla3822
    Community Member

Thank you. I will follow those ideas. Have a great weekend as well!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.