Pre-subscription Users Support Dropped

optimum
optimum
Community Member

Hi, I’m having issues with the current support website when searching. For example, I’m trying to find a tutorial how to share a vault. The link that is produced gives instructions for the subscription online service 1Password.com, not the app. Have you guys completely dropped support for your customers who haven't upgraded to the subscription model? You need to either separate the 2 sections, or at least give us some way of distinguishing the two. For example, this article entitled "Create, share, and manage vaults” give instructions without mentioning that it’s not for the 1Password app, but only the online version.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member

The link https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/ no longer works. 1Password seems to be really dropping support for its legacy customers…

• Hi @hanguolaohu,

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. The support site is written with 1Password.com memberships in mind by default.

We provide best effort support for folks who have already configured sharing via Dropbox, but no longer provide instructions for doing so. Unfortunately sharing vaults via 3rd party sync services tends to not be a great experience. They have a habit of "falling out of sync" without any warning or notification, and it can be difficult and time consuming to get them back in sync. This was one of our primary motivations to create 1Password memberships. As such anyone looking to share 1Password vaults is highly encouraged to look into 1Password membership.

I'll talk to our documentation team to see what we might be able to do to make it more clear when articles apply only to 1Password memberships, or only to standalone usage.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ben

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member

This is absolutely disgusting! I've been a paying user for 8 years. Why would you remove hundreds of support articles if not to shove us into using the subscription model? Was there ever a warning or announcement that support articles would all of a sudden disappear? I'm certain that if thousands of other legacy users knew about this, they would be as upset as me.

• optimum
    optimum
    Community Member

Also, Dropbox sync has been working perfectly fine all these years. If there is a problem, removing the instructions for how to properly set up in the first place is certainly not a solution.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hanguolaohu,

I'm very sorry for the confusion about this! I completely understand why it would be frustrating if the instructions you were looking for had completely disappeared, but please know that the steps to share a local vault via Dropbox folder sharing have simply been moved to the following link: How to share a vault using Dropbox

Please keep in mind that 1Password doesn't actually have a feature for sharing a vault via Dropbox. It has a feature for syncing a vault via Dropbox, but sharing a synced vault is handled 100% by Dropbox. As far as 1Password knows, it's just syncing a vault with Dropbox like usual, and has no idea that the folder containing the sync file is being shared with someone else. Although we still have the instructions available in the above support article, the steps there really just explain how to use the folder sharing feature of Dropbox, and you can find that information on the Dropbox support site here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

The steps in that article which are specific to 1Password are the exact same steps you would take to sync any 1Password vault with Dropbox, regardless of whether or not you plan to share it with someone else. We have the steps to sync vaults with Dropbox here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

Why would you remove hundreds of support articles if not to shove us into using the subscription model?

I think there's been a misunderstanding, as we haven't removed hundred of support articles. Some older links may no longer work due to reorganization of our knowledgebase though, so if you're having trouble finding an article you previously used, please let us know.

Dropbox sync has been working perfectly fine all these years. If there is a problem, removing the instructions for how to properly set up in the first place is certainly not a solution.

I think the confusion here is between "sync" and "share". Syncing a vault with Dropbox is fine - nothing has changed there, and it still works the same way as it has for years.

The problem Ben referred to is related to sharing a synced vault with another Dropbox user account. Again, folder sharing is handled entirely by Dropbox. It's quite possible Dropbox folder sharing has always worked well for you when using it to share a 1Password vault with someone else, but many others have run into problems with that (for example, the shared folder suddenly stops being shared without warning, or it still looks like it's being shared but changes don't sync between the different Dropbox accounts). We have no control at all over the folder sharing feature of Dropbox, which makes those types of issues very difficult to troubleshoot.

Again, I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding, and I hope this helps to clear it up. If you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.