1P mini and VPN Conflict?

Eko
Eko
Community Member

I read a post (here) from 2014 about a possible conflict with a VPN causing 1P mini to disconnect.

Well, I recently started using VyprVPN and 1P mini keeps disconnecting whenever I close then reopen a browser (FF, Safari, Vivaldi, Chrome, Opera). After disabling other potential causes (extensions, AVG Antivirus) the problem persists and it would seem the only remaining cause is the VPN, though hopefully I'm wrong.

In the VyprVPN prefs there's an option to “bypass” it on an app-by-app basis so I set 1P to do so but it (mini) still disconnects.

It's worth noting that only the 1P icon in the browser toolbar disconnects, the (mini) icon at the very top of the browser window always works as expected.

Sometimes simply restarting the Mac is enough to reset things once but as soon as the browser is quit the problem returns. The same goes if I remove the 1P extension, restart the Mac then reinstall the extension: it works once then nothing.

This is getting to be a major pain in my ass. Do I have to choose between 1P and the VPN?

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Eko
    Eko
    Community Member

I read a post (here) from 2014 about a possible conflict with a VPN causing 1P mini to disconnect.

Well, I recently started using VyprVPN and 1P mini keeps disconnecting whenever I close then reopen a browser (FF, Safari, Vivaldi, Chrome, Opera). After disabling other potential causes (extensions, AVG Antivirus) the problem persists and it would seem the only remaining cause is the VPN.

In the VyprVPN prefs there's an option to “bypass” it on an app-by-app basis so I set 1P to do so but it (mini) still disconnects.

It's worth noting that only the 1P icon in the browser toolbar disconnects, the (mini) icon at the very top of the browser window always works as expected.

Sometimes simply restarting the Mac is enough to reset things once but as soon as the browser is quit the problem returns. The same goes if I remove the 1P extension, restart the Mac then reinstall the extension: it works once then nothing.

This is getting to be a major pain in my ass. Do I have to choose between 1P and the VPN?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eko,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about this! 1Password communicates with its browser extension through web sockets over localhost (127.0.0.1), and sometimes apps related to network connections (VPN, proxy, firewall, etc) can block that communication, depending how they are set up. If you disconnect from / disable the VPN, does 1Password work correctly?

Can you please elaborate on what happens when you close and/or open a web browser? You said "mini keeps disconnecting" but it will help if you can be more specific. Also, it sounds like the same thing happens with every browser you use that has the 1Password extension installed?

You should only have one 1Password extension button in the web browser window/toolbar. Do you mean that the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar continues to work correctly? If so, that seems to confirm that something is blocking the connection between the extension and mini (the extension won't work at all if it cannot connect to mini).

Do you happen to be using a new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar / Touch ID? If you are, that might also be related to the problem.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Eko, I noticed you posted the same thing in another new forum thread, so I merged it with this one to avoid confusion. :)

• Eko
    Eko
    Community Member

Hi,

I tested it several times and yes, disabling the VPN does seem to solve the problem. If it's not the VPN then I have no idea what the problem is. I encountered this problem once or twice over the years but nothing as persistent as this which I only noticed when I started using a VPN the other week.

When I close/reopen a browser everything appears normal (no warnings/alerts), and the mini icon appears in the browser toolbar as expected (i.e. it's not greyed-out) but clicking it has absolutely no effect. The main 1P app still works as expected as does the mini icon in the Mac menubar, it's just the mini icon in the browser toolbar that's affected (yes, there's only the one browser icon). The behavior is exactly the same in every browser.

I do not have a touchbar Mac. I'm using an early 2011 MBP.

I also run Ghostery, AdBlock Plus and uBlock but I disabled those and the problem persists.

Sorry for the double post, a little operator-error going on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Eko: If the VPN software (it doesn't sound like you configured the VPN settings in macOS yourself, but correct me if I'm wrong) is blocking or rerouting communications for some reason, 1Password won't be able to function normally. This is not a VPN problem, but would be something with their software or configuration. I use 4 different VPNs myself and haven't encountered anything like this on any of my devices. However, it may also be that something is simply damaged on your system. I'd say it's worth a shot to drag both to the Trash, restart your Mac, and reinstall 1Password first to verify that works before setting up the VPN again. That's one issue I've run into with VPN software, where it just stops working occasionally, and the only way for me to get it going again is to start from scratch.

• Eko
    Eko
    Community Member

@brenty: That's certainly worth a shot, but my guess is it won't help. I suppose it could be something else entirely and not the VPN, but I can't imagine what that might be.

If anyone reads this thread and uses VyprVPN I would be interested in hearing your experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Eko: Yknow, I thought that sounded familiar. Take a look at this post from another user from last year and see if that works for you.

• Eko
    Eko
    Community Member

@brenty: Well done, sir. That indeed seems to be the culprit (fingers crossed).

And thanks to @antony_gordon for the fix.

• antony_gordon
    antony_gordon
    Community Member

Kind of you to credit me but the credit belongs to Matt @matthew_ag (AgileBits support). Glad it worked for you anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Most important thing is that it helped. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.