Getting data file for 1Password 3 from 1Password 6

Options
DubFrank74
DubFrank74
Community Member

Hi,

I have 1Password 6 installed and working on my Macbook pro. I have an old Mac mini that I want to use 1Password on. I downloaded the version the works on the mac mini os which is 3.8.22. When I start, it looks for a data file. I tried syncing a file to a folder from 1Password 6 on my macbook but this file doesn't appear to be compatible. Help much appreciated. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DubFrank74: 1Password 6 can read your existing vault (AgileKeychain) from 1Password 3. Alternatively, if it's unavailable or damaged, you can try grabbing a backup archive from ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/ and rename it from .agilekeychain_zip to .zip to extract your vault from there. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DubFrank74,

After taking a closer look at your message, I think maybe we misunderstood your question at first. If so, I apologize! The above steps above help take data from 1Password 3 and use it in 1Password 6, which is something we're frequently asked about. But it sounds like you're trying to do the opposite: take your data from 1Password 6 (on your MacBook Pro) and use it in 1Password 3 (on your older Mac Mini).

If so, you'll need to change a setting in 1Password 6 so it will create a .agilekeychain sync file (I'm guessing you currently have a .opvault sync file, which is a newer format but won't work with version 3). Also, if you want to keep that vault in sync between both Macs, you'll need to use Dropbox. Just follow these steps (which assume you have Dropbox installed on both Macs):

1. On your MacBook Pro, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    2. Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Folder to None.
    3. Click the box to Delete data from the folder, then click Disable Sync.
    4. Go to Help > Tools in the menu bar, and if Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync has a check mark, select that option to disable it.
    5. In Preferences > Sync, change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    6. Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    7. Click Create New to create a new .agilekeychain file.
    8. Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your older Mac Mini, wait for the .agilekeychain file to completely download to the Dropbox folder. When it's done, double-click on the .agilekeychain file, and 1Password 3 should prompt you to start using it.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DubFrank74: Ah, I think Drew may be right. I'm sorry if I misunderstood! If you are going back to 1Password 3 with data from 1Password 6, just be sure not to make changes to it in 1Password 3, as it will cause trouble with later versions that support the newer data structures.

This discussion has been closed.