Secret key questions

Endicot
Endicot
Community Member

You guys have been great answering my questions, here is another one.

Trying to get my head around secret keys, and how it's not back to the old days of sticky notes. E.g, don't have a safety deposit box or fireproof vault. My iPhone and password manager are my vaults.

So let's say I keep my secret key on my phone. But it gets lost/stolen. So long as I login using another, previously authorized device I can create a new key, and would not lose any data. yes?

How often do I need to reuse a secret key, once a device has been authorized? I thought I read some where it's 30 days.

What if I am on a trip? Lost/stolen phone, don't have access to another authorized device. What can I do? I need my passport and banking information.

Do I trust and store my secret code in a cloud service? Such as iCloud, a Google Drive, Dropbox? I feel that i am back to leaving sticky notes around, except his time it has only 1/2 the password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Endicot

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The first thing I'd recommend doing is checking out our support article on the basics of Secret Keys:

About your Secret Key

This should give you an understanding of what the Secret Key does for you as well as some suggestions for managing it.

Each of your devices that you add the 1Password app and your account to will remember your Secret Key. This memory is indefinite. Unless you do something to erase the key from memory (uninstall 1Password, log out of your account, wipe the device, etc), you should never have to re-enter it on that device. Additionally you should have an Emergency Kit, which will have the Secret Key on it. We have a separate guide that outlines the places you can find your Secret Key if you don't have it handy:

If you can't find your Secret Key or Setup Code

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.