I want my wife to be able access my passwords on her laptop and I want to access hers on my computer

garyduke
garyduke
Community Member

There must be something I'm just not getting.

It's only the two of us. We subscribe to the 1PB for Families. When I go into Admin Console I see both of us and we're both designated as Family Organizers. But I can't see or get to her passwords.

PS. I previously created an account for her here but it was causing duplicates so I removed it. So I'm pretty confused by now.

What I'd like to be able for both of us to open up our individual accounts, but also be able to easily "peek" into the password vaults of each other.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I want my wife to be able to access my passwords easily and vice versa. Best way, please.

Comments

• Hi @garyduke - Thank you for reaching out to us. Great question and I'll do my best to help out. With 1Password Families, each family member by default has two vaults: Personal and Shared. The Personal vault can only be viewed and accessed by that specific family member. The Shared vault is where you want to add commonly used items so you both have access to this data.

For instance, my wife and I have our own Personal vaults but we also added items to our Shared vault so each of us can access this in the case of an emergency. I added my banking, medical, and a couple of documents relating to our house to the Shared vault.

If you both share everything, you can move everything to the Shared vault if you prefer. I hope this helped a bit and let us know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to help out :smile:

• garyduke
    garyduke
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll give this a try. I've copied a couple of entries but I notice that they don't sync up when I make a change in my account. Am I correct that updates don't sync? If so, what's the thinking behind this?

• Hi @garyduke - Great question! If you "move" an item over to the Shared vault, any changes to the item will sync over. If you "copy" an item over to the Shared vault, only the original item will be updated. The copy will remain untouched. We're working on improving this functionality but for the meantime, if you want the items to be updated and synced, I would recommend "moving" the items over and don't "copy" them which should resolve the issue for you. Keep us posted, were more than happy to help out :wink:

• garyduke
    garyduke
    Community Member

I moved over the appropriate logins to the Shared Vault on my iMac. There must be another step or two though. Nothing shows up in my or my wife's laptops. What should I do now to complete the sync?

• @garyduke Thanks for the update! Just to be sure we're on the same page, has she signed in to her family account on the iMac? She'll need to be signed in to see the Shared vault. If she is signed in, could you have her sign in on 1Password.com and check the Shared vault there to see if the items are in it?

• garyduke
    garyduke
    Community Member

Figured out what was wrong. It's working now. But I'm still confused about what it means to "move" a login into the Shared group. It appears that I can't have a login in both shared and personal unless I want to remember to make updates both places (with copy). I tried using the move process -- as you recommended -- but that resulted in moving (only) out of Shared and into Personal. So again... am I correct when I say I can only have syncing logins in Shared or Personal but not both?

• Hi @garyduke -

am I correct when I say I can only have syncing logins in Shared or Personal but not both?

Yes, you're correct! If an item is "moved" any changes will be synced to the item. If an item is "copied" the original item will remain in your Personal vault and any changes made will be synced to the original item located in your Personal vault. The "copy" in the Shared vault will have to re-copied over or you can manually update the item if you make any changes in the future. I hope this helped clear things up a bit more but you're understanding is spot on. :+1: Keep us posted if you have any follow up questions :smile:

This discussion has been closed.