1Password not filling in logins on increasing number of websites with pop-up / drop-down logins

Options

I'm a long-time 1Password user (Chrome browser on a Mac). There seem to be an increasing number of websites where 1Password's mini browser won't insert the login info, usually ones where a drop-down menu or pop-up window appear after you click the website's login button. Instead, you end up back on the previous page (where you were before you click a website's Login button).

While this has long been a problem with certain websites (e.g., an older version of Southwest.com), in the last week or so it no longer works with NYTimes.com. It also didn't work with the new Google account log-in page last week though it appears to be working now.

1Password Version: 6.71
Extension Version: 4.6.4.90
OS Version: OSX 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @shererpaul. Welcome to the AgileBits forums! :chuffed: Thanks for your post. I can say the nytimes.com issue is a known one and one we hope to have a fix in place for very soon.

What happens on some of these pages with these popups is that there is another field on the page that 1Password needs to check to see if it's a sneaky fake password field. This is less and less common but still something we see and need to check for. So, imagine you have a password field that you want to say "Password" until the user starts typing into it (and you haven't yet discovered the HTML5 placeholder attribute). You can't just set the field's value to "Password" because it will look like ••••••••. So, some sites perform this trick where they start with a non-secure plain text field with the value "Password". Then, when you click into the element, they use Javascript to change the field's type from "text" to "password" and set the value to an empty value so you can start typing. If you leave the field and haven't typed anything, they set it back to a text field with the Password value. In order for 1Password to know where the password field is for these kinds of pages, we have to tickle the page into showing us the real field value. We are selective about doing this and only do so when other attributes of the field indicate that this might be one of these tricky fields.What happens is that we have to send special code to these fields that will trick them into changing their types and then check the type. When we do this, this can cause the Login popup to dismiss because another field thought it was about to receive the user's typing.

As for the new Google sign in process, I'm glad to hear it's working for you now. We explicitly tested this new sign in flow pretty thoroughly as it was rolling out to make sure the transition was smooth and everything seemed to be OK. Hopefully what you saw was just a bit of transitional turbulence as the new sign in pages rolled out, but if you have any other issues, please do let us know.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• shererpaul
    shererpaul
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the thorough answer Jamie.
    I'll start keeping a log of any sites where I encounter this issue.
    Paul

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers, Paul! We don't give up on these sites, but it's a bit of a game back and forth for us to support as many sites as we can without these bonkers side effects. Most days it's a thrilling puzzle. :D

• shererpaul
    shererpaul
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, this issue also occurs on the Journal of Commerce website, https://www.joc.com/user/login
    Paul

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @shererpaul,

Thanks for writing back, sorry about the trouble with joc.com. I tested this with 1Password for Mac 6.7.1 and the 1Password extension for Chrome 4.6.5.90 and was able to fill. Hopefully we can work out what's going wrong.

May I ask when you try this, are you seeing 1Password only partially filling the page (as in only the username gets filled or only the password) or are you see a complete failure of 1Password to fill?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• shererpaul
    shererpaul
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Matthew. I think JOC.com was having some issues yesterday . It is working this morning. Yesterday I ended up having to use Safari to successfully get access to a particular story I couldn't get to on Chrome even after being logged in. So, never mind!
    Paul

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know @shererpaul,

Hopefully things will work better from now on but do write in again if you notice anything funny happening like this again!

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.