BinaryWeapon
BinaryWeapon
Community Member
edited May 2017 in Families

I'm in the worst possible position here:
1.) I don't recall my own master password
2.) I've set up the rest of my family on a Family account
3.) I didn't realize that someone else needed to be an admin

I can lose my own data, but not my family's...and I can't get in any longer.

Is there anything that can be done?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BinaryWeapon: If you've truly forgotten your Master Password and don't have it in your Emergency Kit, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that you're out of luck and won't be able to access your own data, and no other admin means no one else to recover you. But the good news is this doesn't affect your family's data: so long as they are able to login to their accounts, they can export their data if you need to start over with a new account. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• BinaryWeapon
    BinaryWeapon
    Community Member
    Options

So, I was able to use a device that hadn't sync'ed in a while, to get into my original iCloud version, albeit it was outdated.

So, is the only way to get me back into the family system to destroy the whole thing and start again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BinaryWeapon: Indeed, if you no longer have access to the account, it won't be of any use to you and could cause issues for your family down the road. So with that in mind, we should concentrate on getting your family's data out of the account so they can migrate to a new one. Which versions of 1Password are they using? This is easiest with 1Password for Mac, since local vaults can be enabled under Preferences > Advanced, and then the data moved over. Let me know where you're at!

This discussion has been closed.