1password acts like its not been installed before

nepife
nepife
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years. Used it today several times and everything was fine. Tonight, I went to fire up 1Password and it asked me if I've ever used 1Password before. It acted like it had not been installed.

I went ahead and re-entered my web credentials and it looks like its working fine except my personal vault password is now my web password and not my original local vault password. What happened ? Am I going to discover I have lost information at some point ?

I'm confident I did not delete the App. Is this something others are experiencing.

I'm very confused.

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nepife,

I'm sorry you're having this strange problem with 1Password! Indeed, if you saw the 'Welcome' screen and asked if you've used it before, that means the app wasn't able to find your data in the expected location on your Mac.

Is it possible that you have the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password installed at the same time, or that you switched from one to the other? Those versions store data in separate locations, so that could explain why this happened. For example, if you were previously using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, but then downloaded the version available on the Mac App Store, that version wouldn't find data in the expected location so it would show you the 'Welcome' screen.

If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see two 1Password app files in there? If you see one named "1Password.app", that's the Mac App Store version. If you see another one with a number in the name, like "1Password 6.app" or "1Password 5.app", that's the AgileBits Store version. If you only see a single 1Password app in Applications, you can try using Spotlight to search for "1Password" on your Mac to see if a second one is located somewhere else.

Let us know what you find and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• djtarazona
    djtarazona
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday! 1Password acted as if it had never been installed before. It was a frustrating and concerning experience.

However, after seeing this thread, I checked my Applications folder and sure enough I have a "1Password.app" and a "1Password 6.app". @Drew_AG I'm almost positive I've always had the AgileBits Store version installed. And I definitely did not explicitly download another copy of the app. This seems to have happened via an automatic update?

What is the recommendation going forward? Should I rename "1Password 6.app" to "1Password.app"? What happens when 1Password 7 comes out? Will it be named "1Password 7.app" and then the app will treat me as a new user again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@djtarazona: I'm sorry for the confusion! There just isn't any way that you ended up with both without downloading/installing them. "1Password.app" is from the Mac App Store, and "1Password 6.app" is from the AgileBits website. It also isn't possible for the App Store to download an update from our website or vice versa. I guess the important question is where is your data? You can easily switch between them by first closing the one already running with Command Control Q (that will make sure that it is stopped completely). And as far as "1Password 7", it's hard to say how that might be setup since it doesn't yet exist. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.