How do change the password on 1Password Mini??

syldrown
syldrown
Community Member

I have changed the password on https://my.1password.com, but it does not change the password on my 1Password Mini Button. How do I change that password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Change Password on 1Password Mini

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @syldrown,

It's possible the master password for your 1Password.com account isn't the one used to unlock the 1Password app on your Mac. For example, if you have a vault named "Primary" in 1Password on your Mac, the master password for Primary is the one that unlocks the app - and because Primary is a local vault which isn't part of your 1Password.com account, it has its own master password. Alternately, if you don't have a Primary vault in 1Password on your Mac but you're signed into multiple 1Password.com accounts in the app, the master password to unlock the app would be the one from the first account you added.

To check your setup, please open & unlock the main 1Password app on your Mac. In the top left corner of the app window, look for the vault switcher (it might show "All Vaults", or possibly the name of a specific vault). Click on that to see a list of the vaults in 1Password on your Mac. If the first one is "Primary", that's why unlocking the app still requires your old master password. (If you don't see a Primary vault in the vault switcher, please let us know what you see instead).

You can either change the master password of your Primary vault to match the one for your account, or you can delete the Primary vault if you don't need it. If you want to change the Primary vault's master password, make sure Primary is selected in the vault switcher, then go to 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar, click the Security tab, and click Change Master Password.

On the other hand, you might not need the Primary vault now if you're using a 1Password.com account. If you sign into your account on my.1password.com, do you see all your latest data there? If you have all your data in your account vaults, you can choose to delete the Primary vault from the 1Password app. To do that, open the main 1Password app, switch to the Primary vault using the app switcher, then go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu. After reading the warning that appears, enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault. Once you do that, the master password to unlock the app will be the one for your account.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• syldrown
    syldrown
    Community Member

Thank you so much!! It all made perfect sense and I was able to follow your directions and successfully delete the unneeded vault and change the password...Thanks!!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad that helped you solve the problem, @syldrown! Thank you for following up here to let us know how it all worked out for you. :)

We're always happy to help, so don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.